Phishing protection

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by truoc, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. truoc

truoc Registered Member

Hi all. Not sure if this is the right forum for this and if it isn't please accept my apology and feel free to move this thread to the appropriate area. I tend to juggle AV's and such every now and again plus do some testing of my own on the side as a fun thing to do. I have noticed that most browsers and AV "suites" do a pretty good job when it comes to phishing protection. At the same time I have noticed that other basic AV programs don't fare so well when it comes to phishing protection. To this point I wanted to ask you all what program/browser extension, combination of the two, or something entirely different do you think is worthwhile having on the computer to help a user using a basic AV, for example MSE (not throwing MSE under the bus whatsoever just using as an example), have the most protection from phishing websites? Thanks in advance.

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I know the Opera browser has the most highly rated anti-phishing protection (AV Comparitives) & Firefox has a whole selection on their extensions site:

Phish Advisor 1.1

Phish Tester 1.2

I don't know about their efficacy however.

4. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

If im correct i think opera uses netscape and phishtank...im not sure but i think it uses opendns also.

5. siketa

siketa Registered Member

I think it is Netcraft, not Netscape....;)
    It does not use OpenDNS, it uses the same "database" (Phishtank).

6. The Red Moon

Thank you siketa i know it was net something lol.:ouch:

7. southcat

southcat Registered Member

Hello,just a little advise FYI:

1) DNS is the first layer of defense

Change DNS setting to Norton DNS, Open DNS or Comodo DNS (those are free) to provide basic browsing protection and content filtering blocking unsafe sites automatically.

2) Browser security - Use at least two browser. My example: I am using Firefox w/add-on:Bitdefender Trafficlight to visit banking website and check email. Google Chrome or Comodo Dragon for general internet surfing.

3) Web Filtering - K9 Web Protection(it's free)

4) Trusteer Rapport(free) or Sandboxie(free or paid license, but free is working well also)

5) Antivirus - Avast Free and advise to turn on the modules listed below
    File System Shield
    Network Shield
    Behavior Shield
    Web Shield — HTTP protection. Scans URLs and incoming data for viruses, and aborts connections to the site if one is found.
    Script Shield — Scans webpages for malicious scripts, and disables them from infecting your computer.

6) Firewall -Windows Firewall, Comodo Firewall (free) , Online Armor Free, ZoneAlarm Free Firewall,...

Regards.

8. The Red Moon

Thats great advice.
    I would omit comodo dns at the moment as it is nowhere near as strong as the others.o_O

9. truoc

truoc Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies guys! I recently switched to OpenDNS for a little while, but recently I noticed that Youtube videos were taking forever to load so last night I switched back to my ISP's DNS servers and reset the router and they seem to load much quicker now. Maybe my router just needed to be reset and it wasn't the DNS at all, I'm not sure. I should probably change my config because it says I am still using Avast, but I switched all the PC's over to Windows Defender in Windows 8/MSE on others just for kicks. Seems to be working just fine, but the only thing that worries me is the Phishing part which is why I asked for suggestions. I appreciate the help!

10. itman

itman Registered Member

Gibson Research has a simple layman test you can run to determine your DNS spoofablility risk. Your ISP servers might be a lot safer than you think. Mine give me an Excellent rating on this test.

https://www.grc.com/dns/dns.htm

11. The Red Moon

This is an area where comodo seems to lack protection in terms of web filtering and phishing protection.
    At the moment i rely upon the browser etc for this and i find it weird that comodo will not implement such protection.:ouch:

12. southcat

southcat Registered Member

Thanks for sharing your experiences.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.