Phishers waste woman's £1m life savings on cheeseburgers, champagne and gold

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by TheKid7, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Phishers waste woman's £1m life savings on cheeseburgers, champagne and gold:
    http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...-savings-on-cheeseburgers-champagne-and-gold/

2. guest

guest Guest

Man, this is one real-life example that, no matter how though your security setup against installation of malware, you and your brain.exe still could fall so easily with such a phishing scam. Just trust no one, believe nothing I guess.

I'm starting to think that, not all of us are ready to keep up with the fast-paced growing of technology. I think traditional way is much more secure than online banking, although scams are still highly possible. :(

3. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I just don't get it. I get these darn 419 scam messages all the time. I know folks must take the bait otherwise these things would dry up. This case is proof point. I can only shack my head in wonder at the gullible who fall for these things.

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

One of the first things I tell someone who is just getting online (yes, there are many still around) is there is only one rule. Any solicitation is bogus, period. No reputable business solicits you, you solicit them. Pretty much the same thing applies to phones.

Humorous thing is, in nearly every case with newcomers to the web, they will call me and ask me if they have a problem or if they really need to do X because they got a popup or an email, etc. I ask them, what is the golden rule? They repeat what I told them. Its like there is some temptation that they cannot resist. I don't understand it, but most seem to really want to believe what they read in such cases.

Sul.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Online banking is not the problem; it's fools willingly giving away their personal and sensitive information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.