Philips 16LS Drive Bay Opening At Random

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AnthonyG, Jun 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

This is irritating me immensly. Last week i bought and installed a Philips 16LSK DVD burner as my secondry master. But for some reason it has this thing were it opens and closes my drive bay when ever the hell it likes. I have on two occasions now opened up the draw to remove a disk then in a split second it has closed shut and i have jammed my finger, The third time i scratched a CDr i just burned.

Aonther time i put a boot CD in my drive rebooted my machine and half way through the bios it just opened so windows booted.

How do i either, calm this overexited thing down so it only opens at sensibe times, and when it does open, stays open until i choose to close it!. Or failing that can i stop it opening all together via computer commands so the only way it opens is if i press the open button on the drive.

Thanks

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

What does your Virus/malware scanner say? Seems like a Trojan to me.....

3. AnthonyG

I for a brief period thought that but it doesnt do anything with my slave (NEC 3540, thats perfect).

Its been doing it since i installed it last week

But yesterday i completely formatted my C drive (twice) using windows dos format, then installed XP Pro and its still there.

Could the virus have survived the format?

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Maybe you should interchange the master and the slave, and then see if it happens. If the NEC drive now has the problem (and Philips is OK), you might want to check the cables.

If the NEC drive is OK, and the Philips is still having problems, you should consider a firmware upgrade.

5. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

This could be a faulty unit from the sound of it. Maybe a sensor on the door not working correctly or an internal firmware issue.

If it is just a week old how about going back to the supplier and asking for a replacement to see if another unit works ok. The guarantee should allow this.

With hardware problems like this, and if you find another unit, even if it is a different model works fine in the same set up, then the only sure way to resolve the problem is with a replacement unit of the same type.

Chances are that it will fix the problem, but the beauty is, if it does not then you have eliminated the main suspect in the process and can now concentrate on some other cause... compatibility... connections... power requirements etc.

All part of the rich tapestry of PC repair and maintenance.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

6. AnthonyG

I wish that was a viable option but i got it from PC World, in exchange for two other DVD drives that were faulty from their store. I have been told on day of purchase by my dad if it is faulty then its tough! we are never going back to that store again.

I personally also dont want to go back as even though items are under warrenty that store treats replacing items like your stealing the mona lisa. They do not like it and you have to argue with one of their 'top' technical repair guys to have anything to even be considered to be replaced, then you leave the machine to have the parts installed. Come back in a week and they say "No weve decided not to install it as the item has been fully tested and its fine" so then you have to argue again, "Then leave it for another week", i know your thinking i could just take the drive myself? but no as i bought i three year extended warrently for £380, part of the "contract" is all upgrades to the machine must be done by PC world and they must all be from PC world items. I argued with the technical guy in PC world and took the drive to install myself, which i did as part of my Cisco course, so PC World will be very akward about taking this back.

So, No i am sorry i cant afford the hassle to take it back.

So if it is a faulty sensor them i would rather disable the drives ability to be opened by computer commands. As it is impossible to take back.

7. zarzenz

That is difficult for you Antony if you have had problems with them. I can see why you don't want to go back there again with all the hassle they give you.

It seems amazing that a big company like this treats their customers so badly and if indeed this is a faulty unit they have supplied you then they should legally be responsible to replace it, but I can also understand how you feel.

I find Maplin very good... I wonder if you have one near you. They are much more happy to allow people to fix their own PC's and sell kits and all the stuff you need just like PC World.

Anyway... hope you manage to find a solution.

8. AnthonyG

Maplin is very good, I am buying everything from a online store called Ebuyer, It is a fantastic sore and i highly recommend it.

They will usually undercut all other online retailers in the UK by at least £5 too.

9. zarzenz

Thanks Antony for the info... I'll check them out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.