PGP Freeware version

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by JO, Dec 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JO

JO Guest

Anyone use this version? I recently downloaded it and it seems to be geared more towards email encryption whereas I'm looking to encrypt files and folders on my PC not email encryption. Anyone know if I can in fact use the freeware PGP version to encrypt files or do I need to upgrade to their $ version?

Also does the "wiping" function on PGP work as well as Eraser? Is it reliable?

Also read about the possible spyware and uninstall problems with EDC so I'm hesistant to start trying new ones. Any one have good results with a simple yet powerful crypto freeware that will encrypt my files. I don't need any bells or whistles...just safe encryption.

Hope I'm not asking for too much as I'm sorta new to this encryption thing o_O... so thanks in advance for any help.

2. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

pgp freeware does not include PGP DISK needed to encrypt files

3. JO

JO Guest

Thanks. That's what it looked like to me as well.

Any recommendations on a simple but reliable encryption program that will secure my files and folders?

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi JO

Welcome to wilders! :)

This is new programme from DCS

It is called CRYPTOSUITE.

It is not free but looks like a good programme.

Check it out at this link, forums are there also.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=17084

Hope this helps

Snowbound

5. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

6. eburger68

eburger68 Privacy Expert

JO:

You *can* use PGP 8.0 Freeware to encrypt, decrypt, sign, and verify files. PGPdisk is a program that comes with the for-$$ versions of PGP and makes the mass encryption of files and folders extremely convenient, but you don't need PGPdisk to encrypt and decrypt files.

With PGP Freeware you simply select a file, a group of files, or even a folder full of files to encrypt, then select "Encrypt" from the Windows Explorer context menu (you can also the PGPtools toolbar to select files). From there you can elect to encrypt straight symmetrically and assign a passphrase to protect the symmetric key, or you can elect to encrypt to a public key on your keyring (probably your own, since you'll want the private key to decrypt with). PGP then encrypts all the files that you selected. Decryption merely requires that you reverse the process.

PGPdisk, by contrast, allows you to create large container files (up to several gigs in size) that can then be mounted and used just like any other removeable drive. You can move files on and off this virtual drive, and they're encrypted and decrypted on the fly. As I said, PGPdisk makes the mass encryption of files and folders very easy, but you don't need PGPdisk to encrypt files -- PGP Freeware will let you do it just fine.

Best,

Eric L. Howes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.