PGP Desktop WDE Question???

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Warlockz, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

I just got another Machine that is much faster than my old one, It works perfectly fine with the current unencrypted HD, But I wanted to Put the Hard Drive from my old machine in the new one then install the new drivers and so on, my drive is Encrypted with PGP WDE, and after I hook up my old drive in my new machine, turn it on and enter my PGP keys ECT, it enters the OS Boot then my machine restarts itself.

My question is, Is their a security feature in PGP that shuts down the system, if the encrypted HD has been moved to a different machine?

Or could this be a problem with the current system drivers "AMD" and my new motherboard is Intel?

My HD works perfectly fine in my old machine after I enter my Keys ect!

..................................................................................................

2. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Warlockz, it is worthwhile to think about this problem as a “hardware independent restore.”

To be safe, I recommend that you decrypt the drive in the existing PC, create an image backup (e.g., with ShadowProtect Desktop), install the drive in the new PC, reinstate the image backup using a hardware independent restore, and then encrypt the drive.

I don't know if PGP Desktop checks the hardware on which it is installed when verifying the license. I recommend that you ask PGP -- or, uninstall PGP Desktop on the old PC and then simply reinstall it on the new PC. (Be sure you backup your keyring.)

3. Countermail

Countermail Registered Member

If we are talking about Windows I'm pretty sure this is a driver problem, it's not possible to move the hard drive from a completely different motherboard without reinstalling some drivers. It might work if you boot into safe-mode and then try to install the correct chipset drivers.

4. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Yes this was a driver problem, I just went ahead and installed windows instead of messing with it!

thanks for the replies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.