PG vs APT

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Logan5, Jun 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logan5

Logan5 Registered Member

Hi,

I am running PG (full version) and also use Advanced Process Termination.

I ran into this problem again where APT is able to kill anything including PG. Last time I just reinstalled PG and all was fine. But I do not believe I am messing up any settings that somehow allows APT to do this.

So my question is how should I have the settings in PG (under the Protection Tab) set up for APT. When I looked just after discovering this issue again it was set as follows:

Allow this application to" (all are checked)

1. Terminate protected applications
    2. Modify protected applications
    3. Read from protected applications

As of now I unchecked number 1. Which of course allows PG to do its job including stopping APT from killing PG. But with this setting like this does this not prevent APT from doing its job (that is letting you kill an application that is hanging or will not close using task manager). So which setting is correct? And if I am not mistaken, should not PG be safe from APT no matter what setting I have above?

Thanks
    Logan

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

If you want to use APT to test PG then you obviously do not give it Terminate permissions (which is basically saying to PG, don't protect if this application is involved). This accurately simulates the situation of malware on your system trying to close down your other programs.

If you want to use APT to close rogue applications, then you do give it Terminate permissions (and allow it the Install Driver privilege for v3 of APT also for its "Kernel Kill" option). In this case, you are using it as a process management tool, not a PG-tester.

3. Logan5

Logan5 Registered Member

Paranoid2000

Thanks for the reply and I understand your point.

Somehow I must have checked "Terminate protected applications"
    thus allowing APT to kill any and all programs.

Logan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.