PG "versus" realtime av

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by poogimmal, May 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poogimmal

poogimmal Registered Member

running w2k_sp4 with PG 2.0 and symantec corp edition 8.1 av. w2k is normally rock solid, I install PG and w2k intermittently and unpredictably black_screen crash/reboots. nothing recorded in the PG log of these black events. I installed PG for 3d time the other day, and w2k ran normally smooth and steady for about 35 hours thinking the 3d time is the charm, and when I attempted to open MS Excel, immediate black screen crash/reboot. no obvious problem or pattern to this, so either ming_the_merciless is really in control of my box via some deeply hidden malcode, or I'm thinking that sometimes sav_realtime conflicts unpredictably with PG. Gavin mention in private that DCS had not tested PG with sav, and I'm sure it's not practicable to test with everything. I've currently disabled sav_realtime and not using that box on the internet. so then assuming that the conflict is with sav, I am willing to uninstall it and try some other av, but I need to know what av DCS thinks runs in total harmony with PG, TDS3. and I'll try WG too once things smooth out with PG.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

HI poogimmal, I do know that both NOD32 & KAV run well with both Process Guard & TDS3 on XP Pro - Home and Server 2003
    I am pretty sue that one of the beta testers was running W2K SP4 and NOD32 with no reported problems.

TDS3 & NOD32 are a very good combination for sure and should be no problem on W2K.

HTH Pilli

3. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

I confirm that NOD32 works fine with Process Guard, as well as Norton AV 2004.

regards,

gkweb.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

On Win 2000, SP4 ( the same as your system) I can confirm that NOD, KAV and Dr Web all run well with PG2 :) .

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

PG 2.0 is also quite content with F-Prot,TDS-3 ZAP 4.5,SpybotS&D and all the Javacool software on this XP Pro SP1 box.

6. poogimmal

Good to see confirmations that PG runs ok with NOD32 and f-prot, but concerned to read that it also is working w/NAV 2004, since I would assume some similarities between NAV 2004 and SAV8.1 (?) ... and sure enough a funny thing happened on the way to the forum, after I posted and with SAV realtime disabled, I went to open my long time used Time & Chaos PIM and yet another unexpected black screen crash, meaning MY problem may be other than SAV. meanwhile I rebooted with SAV realtime disabled, so maybe booting with it off will make box better behaved. any thoughts on what my be causing these crashes would be MUCH appreciated.

7. poogimmal

I uninstalled my symantec sav8.1. things seem to be smoothing out with PG now :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.