PG on Longhorn

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by WWW, Jul 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WWW

WWW Guest

I know it is probably too early to ask this question.

Will PG run on Longhorn? At least on the developer copy distributed at Microsoft PDC last year?

Is PG a kernel hack or a written using documented Microsoft API? Is there a high chance that PG will not work on Longhorn because Microsoft decides to disable certain essential API that PG relies on and PG has to be rewritten from scratch?

I just want to know how DiamondCS is going to handle the gap on the transition from XP to Longhorn. Will PG be rewritten to be .NET compatible?

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi WWW, I doubt MS know what the final version of Longhorn will look like yet and I do not think it will be publicly available before 2006.:)
    So IMHO any answer to your question regarding Process Guard would be speculative. :D

Process Guard does use undocumented features, as to what exactly DCS will probably reply.

Pilli

3. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

We will probably take a look at Longhorn when it enters release candidate phase, but even then, programs like Process Guard will still likely be effected in the push for the final version. I don't think it will be much work to migrate to Longhorn, I also think Longhorn is probably going to acquire a few features that Process Guard has at the moment.

4. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Will SP2 have any of those features? I've seen the Data Execution Prevention tab, even though it's not enabled yet, and wonder if it is a step in Longhorn's direction.

Nick

5. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Re: Windows SP2 - Get an Athlon 64

SP2 will provide support for buffer overflow (no execute) protection, if you are using the right CPU, like an AMD Athlon 64 CPU. This is quite a big security upgrade, something which should have already been available on all x86 CPU's. Longhorn will undoubtably include this protection. I think this is the tab you are referring to, the reason it isn't enabled is because you don't have an Athlon 64 CPU installed in your computer.

I would urge everyone who is serious about security to upgrade to an Athlon 64 CPU just to receive these security benefits, for once there is a reason to upgrade your computer other than just to "make it faster". :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.