PG error

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by notageek, Oct 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

OK I tried to start PG and I get an erro saying make sure PG is install correctly. I try to uninstall PG to reinstall and I get the same error message with a program hang. Anyone know of a fix? Forgot to mention I have PG2.0

2. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

Hi notageek :).

You could try following the directions provided by Gavin in this post.

After successfully uninstalling, you might like to try the latest Process Guard 3 Public BETA 2 if you are a registered user. It is available in the Members area for download.

Regards,
    Jade.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  3. notageek

OK I got it uninstalled but now when I try to reinstall PG2.0 I get an error saying that it can't install the PG driver.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi notageek; What other resident programs do you have running?
    Is it the trial version? If licensed please go to the members area and install Version 3 public beta 2.
    As it sounds like something else is stopping the install.
    Also check that procguard.sys has been removed from windows\system32\drivers before re-installing.

Thanks. Pilli

5. notageek

I closed down all the other programs before trying to install. I'm trialing PG and really can't when I can't get it to work. This is my secondary computer maybe I need to install SSM or AP on it.

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

OK, What is the second PC? OS - CPU etc.

Thanks. Pilli

7. notageek

It's an XP home sp1, 640 MB of ram, 1.70 gig processer (slow).

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

OK - Try the following

Empty your Process Guard folder,
    Delete pghash.dat and pguard.dat in windows/system32

Providing you feel comfortable working in the registry.
    Start - Run - Type - regedit - press return
    using "find" search for procguard and delete all the keys that you can, two or three if I remember correctly.
    Next search for Process Guard - Delete any keys that are found.

Reboot - Ensure all unnessecary programs are stopped and try to re-install.

BTW Niether SSM or AP will give you the same level of security as Process Guard Version 3 but they are free

HTH Pilli :)

9. notageek

OK I'll try it. I'll let you know how it goes.

SSM won't be free for long from what I heard. But I'm ready to buy a program like PG is I can get it to work right. If not I'm happy with using SSM or AP along with other stuff.

10. notageek

OK I tried to delete all the reg keys I find but there's one I can't delete. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_PROCGUARD

11. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Highlight the key in regedit, go Edit/Permissions and give "Everyone" full control of the key. Wait about 20 seconds, and you should be able to delete it.

Nick

Attached Files:

12. notageek

OK I got it deleted and tried to install and run PG and still get the error message saying that I have to make sure PG is install right.

13. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Run a High Jack this scan and remove anything PG. I had a problem and cleaned out everything that I could find. Then someone suggested the HJT scan and I found 2 things ,removed them and everything worked. Give it a try.

14. notageek

Man that's a good idea I didn't run that. I ran everything to see if it was a virus or trojan that's targeting PG but never ran HJT yet thanks for the idea.

OK Ran it and there's nothing for PG there.

15. WilliamP

I had gone into everything and removed anything connected with PG. Some I had to go into Safe Mode. I am glad that I didn't give up. I am really impressed with PG now.

16. Bowserman

Hmmm, so do you get this error message during installation/setup, or after installation?

Regards,
    Jade.

17. WilliamP

NotaGeek go back to page 3 of posts Oct 2 Protection Screen Blank . Its long but it you follow what was suggested to me you are bound to fix it.

18. notageek

Browserman. I get it installed fine but when I click on PG to run it I get the error message. I have never incountered a problem like this that a clean install wouldn't fix. :)

William. I'm going to and look and read and see.

19. Bowserman

Hi again notageek :).

After reading through the thread that WilliamP mentioned and trying anything that is mentioned therein....if you are still unable to get it up and running, I would try doing it in these steps.

After "uninstalling" PG, re-install it, even if it gives the error. Then try going into Safe Mode - please back-up your system beforehand ;).

1) Reboot your operating system into SAFE-MODE. To do this Reboot your machine, and just after your BIOS screen disappears keep pressing the F8 key. A menu should appear, select "Safe Mode" and press Enter.
    2) Run Process Guard's uninstall utility. You can see this from the Start Menu -> Process Guard -> Uninstall.
    3) To verify the removal, make sure procguard.sys does not exist in (c:\windows\system32\drivers) directory, and that procguard.dll and pguard.dat/pghash.dat are not in your system32 directory (c:\windows\system32). If they still exist delete them.

Delete the Process Guard folder from C:\Program Files

While still in SAFE MODE, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Diamond Computer Systems using REGEDIT. Expand the key and there should be a Process Guard entry...delete it (only delete the Process Guard entry...not the Diamond Computer Systems one).

Then navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services . Look through it and if you find any PG entries (like procguard etc - I can't remember which entry is there for PG 2), delete them.

Now highlight My Computer in REGEDIT. Select EDIT> FIND and do a search for procguard and delete any keys that you find. Then do a search for Process Guard and delete any keys that are found.

Now reboot :).

You should now be able to install it properly (just make sure that any other programs are shut down before trying to install again).

I sincerely hope that it will work for you now.

Best regards,
    Jade.

20. notageek

Thanks jade. You know what I got it fixed just seconds before I got an email saying someone replied to this post. I was on my way ovr to tell everyone I got it fixed. The funny thing is that I went into dafe mode and ran my regedit and delete every pg thing I found and I also dleted the diamond folder that showed in my regedit and reinstalled it from Safemode and rebooted to normal mode and bam it worked.

21. Bowserman

Phew!...good stuff notageek :D....glad you got it sorted out :cool: .

If you find the free version of Process Guard 2 good, then you'll love Process Guard 3 when the final is released. There will also be a free version for Process Guard 3 in case you were wondering ;).

Best regards,
    Jade.

22. notageek

Thanks. When PG 3 comes out I'm going to try it and if it's good and I like I will buy it. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.