PG and administrative rights.

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by nadirah, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I just changed my user account from the Administrators group to the Debugger Users group, which means I'm running with no admin rights.

And upon doing so, PG gives the error: Error in initialization, check dcsuserprot.exe

Does PG require admin rights to display the UI?

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

ProcGuard, the UI component, has to have Administrator rights - this can be accommodated by using Run As (it will report an error about pgaccount not being present but this can be ignored).

A UI shouldn't require admin rights since it discourages sensible security precautions like using a non-Admin user for day-to-day tasks. However this has been a long-standing issue with PG so it is difficult to say when (or even if) DiamondCS intend to address this.

3. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

And speaking of Run As, the other account WITH admin rights is the built-in administrator account on my computer. But I renamed it, and when I try to log on to it, it says cannot log on because of account restrictions obviously because this account can only be accessed by Safe Mode!.

So I need to set it via Safe Mode. But I feel that this is a case of security through inconvenience. :blink::ouch: I'm very secure.

As for PG's UI, I strongly think that DCS should make all components accessible even under non-admin accounts. Or maybe they are doing this so that non-admin users are unable to modify PG's settings, while only admins can.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.