PG 3.100 - Where's my tray icon?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by DigitalMan, Dec 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Registered Member

When my PC boots up I don't get a PG icon in the system tray. PG appears to be running (pgaccount.exe and procguard.exe and dcsuserprot.exe are all running, appears to block new processes as expected) fine. If I start ProcessGuard from the start menu I get the GUI and everything behaves fine, just no tray icon. FWIW I have similar behavior with my SpywareGuard installation - appears to be running fine, just no tray icon. KAV and Prevx operate fine.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Environment details:
    ProcessGuard Full 3.100
    ZoneAlarm 5.5.062.004
    KAV Personal 5.0.227
    SpywareGuard
    Prevx 2.0.3

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Digitalman, Using fast user switching could be the porblem.
    The ProcessGuard GUI & tray Icon on can only be viewed in the account that ProcessGuard was installed to.
    Other accounts will still see any alerts but cannot use the Main GUI.

HTH Pilli

3. DigitalMan

Thanks Pilli - on my home PC I only have one user account - admin - that I always use. I've never used other profiles or accounts - how can I be sure that this isn't the issue?

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

If you only use your main account and that is where you installed ProcessGuard then there should not be an issue.

Try googling for "Disappearing Icons XP SP2" as I believe this is not an unknown problem.

Pilli

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

6. frogfoot

frogfoot Registered Member

I had this problem when I was experimenting with UPnP, when the UPnP service was running several icons in the system tray dissapeared, when I disabled the service they reappeared.
    Hope this helps
    Tom

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Nice suggestion FrogFoot, UPnP is certainly a service that most users do not need to have running ;)

Cheers. Pilli

8. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I have always had tray icons fail to show up when I boot. Have been using XP for ages now and it has done it on and off - it is a known prob. Various solutions I have seen - the only one that works for me is scheduling a chkdsk for next reboot - dont ask me why!

I have PG and TDS and find that one of these makes it more probable icons will fail to appear.

9. DigitalMan

The problem appears to have been solved. Removed KAV 5.0.227 and replaced it with NOD32 2.12.4. Now my PG, SG and TiVo Desktop icons all appear consistently and my PC is much faster.

I noticed that KAV was always active for quite a while during bootup (~ 3 minutes or so). Is it possible that delays during bootup due to KAV activity is preventing the tray icons from loading properly?

>>Edit: spelling<<

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  10. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

11. DigitalMan

Thanks Blackcat. Just for clarification, my issue was not an invisible or generic file folder icon in the system tray like in the thread you linked, it was that the blue PG lock icon simply wasn't there - like PG wasn't installed. Checking task manager showed that the PG modules were all running and PG seemed to work fine - just no icon.

It would be good to know what could cause the PG icon to not appear due to an AV loading. That might be an opportunity to make PG more robust, even if the AVs or any other application is missbehaving.

With NOD32 impacting my system so much less than KAV I may just stick with NOD32 and my problem is gone for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.