PG 2.0/PG 1.3 PGuard.dat?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by siliconman01, Mar 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Jason,

Can we save away the PGuard.dat file from PG 1.3 and use it in PG 2.0 so that we do not have to re-enter all the data?

2. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Sorry I didn't mention this, the new installer does not delete pguard.dat.

So just leave it where it is, all your settings will be recalled.

-Jason-

3. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Hey, Thanks very much ! ;)

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Did this work for you guys. I left the old files there, and when I installed 2.0 I said no to the question about adding common services, and finished the install. Lost the MD5 settings from the beta, and also although it looked like the protections where there, PG isn't recognizing them.

Pete

5. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

pghash.dat (which holds all the PROGRAM CHECKSUM info) gets deleted upon install, but pguard.dat doesn't.

pghash.dat would only affect the BETA users since they would have the file from testing. :)

-Jason-

6. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

HI, I just installed 2.0, I had left pguard.dat in the folder, I selected yes to add the recommended files to protect and found that all my 1.3 settings were "not there". Also I looked for pguard.hash and it's not showing up in Explorer (?). The pguard.dat still shows a date last changed of 2004-12-03. So I closed PG to see if the files would show a new change date or be visible, but they weren't. However the MD5 list still shows all the programs that I have added today. Then I scanned for pguard.dat and found the new one from today in c:\winnt\system32. Can I just move the one with all my settings overtop of the new one? I don't remember if we were advised to put our 1.3 settings into system32, but if not, please add the tip for anyone who hasen't but will upgrade.
    Thanks, Jim

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi JW Clements, You will have to disable Process Guard to do it as it is protected, safe mode will be your best option.
    Please rename the copy currently in system32 before copying your other pgguard.dat to the folder.
    If it does not work you can then reverse out :)

pghash.dat is in the windows\system32 folder along with pguard.dat

8. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Hi Pilli, I shutdown the PG GUI but not the "service/process" so I did the "newbie" thing and uninstalled, copied the file, reinstalled and responded with a "No" to the prompt to create a list of things to protect, and had a blank page!. I used the wizard to let me answer "yes", and got the basic list. Fortunately I had save the 1.3 list and just used it to quickly add back the programs. I also had to re-do the hash, but instead of using Learning mode, I just opened each application and selected "Allow". I'm quite impressed with the new version, I'll now start looking for updates to see how that part of PG works.
    Thanks to DCS for a great product,
    Jim C.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.