PG 1.2 will not run on Notebook Computer

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Disciple, Jan 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

I have sent a message to DCS, but though I would also post here to see if there are any other suggestions. The notebook is running XP home SP1 w/all updates and patches. PG 1.15 ran/runs fine, but when I install 1.2 following the install suggestions here and reboot the computer will crash with a BSOD and restart. I have to boot to safe-mode to get out of the start-crash-reboot loop. I have tried all of the troubleshooting/fixes that are mentioned here but nothing works, and I have to uninstall 1.2 to get the computer to boot. I am open to any and all suggestions, as I am totally baffled because 1.2 installed to my desktop system with no problems.

TIA for your help.

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

I would try the following (if you have the same OS on both PC and notebook)

on your main PC where 1.200 is running, disable protection and close procguard.
    Copy c:\windows\system32\pguard.dat to your notebook on your desktop for instance.

Then install PG 1.200 on your notebook but do not reboot at the end of the installation. Copy the pguard.dat to c:\windows\system32 of your notebook, and reboot.

If you are lucky and that you haven't a BSOD, to the question "it's the first time you run PG on this computer, do you want to allow default windows windows services ...?" say NO.

I just try, may be it won't work, let us know :)

3. Disciple

Thanks gkweb I will give that a try tomorrow I am tired of messing with it, pretty much a constant process since Friday. I will post back with the results.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Disciple, I run PG on my laptop with no problems. I did a complete clear out of both the old PG files and the registry after uninstalling 1.150 rebooting and before installing 1.200.
    Please try the reg clean process as shown here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=20183 Page 3 is possibly the most useful :)

5. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hmm so its happened again :( this should only happen if you run an old driver with new EXE while its still active. So the most important thing is upgrading. I'll see if we can make it easier to upgrade, but you must disable all protection then close both PG_MsgProt and PG's main program if you wish to "upgrade". Or uninstall reboot reinstall reboot :)

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks Gavin, It appears from thread URL posted as above that, several others have encountered similar problems and the fixes at least get them back to a working PG :)

Hopefully the install / uninstall can be made more user friendly.

Having said that, once running, PG is solid and extremely capable ;)

7. Disciple

The title of this thread should have read: PG 1.2 will not install on Notebook Computer.

I just spent the day re-building the notebook, for other issue that was more of a "nit" for me. When I install PG 1.2 the installer never completely finishes, it will BSOD and reboot before I can read the screen. When it reboots, there is a blank PG shortcut on the desktop as well as the Start > All Programs > Process Guard folder has generic Windows icons (none of the nice DCS icons), and PG_MSGProt is running but there is no way to bring up the GUI. I have downloaded a fresh copy, and will do a manual uninstall from safe-mode. I may try to install while in safe-mode just to see what happens.

I feel like Eliot, in the thread http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=20183;start=30, that I am fighting a never ending battle. Maybe Gavin or some one else will have some more suggestions. It will probably be tomorrow before I can post the results.

Thanks one and all.

8. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Disciple,

Sorry about the problems you are encountering :(

Can you possibly provide an outline of the programs that you have installed that might work at a lower level, such as AV, AT, etc, basically anything of a protective nature.

9. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Read the helpfile, in the Step by Step guide the MANUAL UNINSTALL section.

I think a lot of these problems are to do with protection being active whilst doing the new install. By doing the manual uninstall you can ensure you have a clean system to begin an install on. Also PGUARD.dat should never be copied from previous versions to new versions, and vice versa. You cannot reuse them since there are changes version to version. Make sure PGUARD.dat is not in your system32 folder whilst doing the new install, as outlined in the manual uninstall section.

-Jason-

10. Disciple

Hi Jason, I received your e-mail and have sent you more info and a status report. However I will quickly recap here for any/all that maybe watching this thread.

Since re-installing PG v1.2 on a clean XP install by way of MSCONFIG > Selective Startup and disabling all of the items in the Startup tab EXCEPT for the Synaptics TouchPad entries and still getting the BSOD when the install is finishing. I have stopped the automatic reboot that prevented me from reading any information it provided. I found the following:

STOP: 0x0000007c (0xc0000005, 0xF9EDD6E7, 0xF9EABB34, 0xF7EAB834)
    Procguard.sys - Address F9EDD6E7 base at F9EDC000, Date Stamp 4010d901

This install appears to be more complete that the others. However now with Procguard.exe in the startup folder and the computer boots I am now getting this error message:

Procguard.EXE - Image Bad
    The Application or DLL C:\Windows\System32\Procguard.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

This is one of the more challenging problems I have came across, but I have no doubt that the fine people at DCS and here will help eliminate and find the cause.

Also to answer Dan Perez:

On the notebook my AV is AVG 6 free and the AT is TDS3 with nothing else of a protective nature installed at the moment (see above about how I installed it this time). My desktop system is much tighter as I have RegProtect running as well as some of SpyBot S&D's protection active, but the upgrade went as expected on it. Go figure??

Ok enough for now, but I will keep everyone updated as things progress. Thanks one and all for your help.

11. Jason_DiamondCS

I think this may be an issue with CPU's which do not support SYSENTER cpu instructions AND also are running on Windows XP. What is the CPU (make and speed) of your laptop?

-Jason-

12. Disciple

Aida32 identifies it as: AMD K6-2 428MHz (4.5 x 95). The notebook was purchased in 2000, if that makes any difference.

I have to ask, are the improvements/modifications in v1.2 that much different from v1.15 that will cause this behavior?

13. Jason_DiamondCS

Yes there is significant changes, in regards to blocking Global Hooks in the driver.

-Jason-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.