pfsense alternative

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by general001, May 21, 2016.

1. general001

general001 Registered Member

Has anybody got some experience with alternative router/firewall software (excluding pfsense and also exluding DD-WRT/Open WRT/Tomato)?

I have followed mirimir's magnificent (thank you for you effort!) guide and a comprehensive guide that could be found on AIRVPN forum regarding pfsense (in essence what I have done is setting up a pfsense VM to host a VPN client and route traffic to another Linux VM from it).

I was wondering about adding another layer of a VM-firewall to my setup beside pfsense (preferably Linux-based small footprint firewall distro as I'd like its firewall to be based on netfilter architecture, like Untangle; there just seems to be so little choice). Has anybody got some experience, suggestions?

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

It's not hard in plain Debian.

3. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

I had a quick look at the Sophos UTM (which I believe is Linux based) before going down the pfsense route. But I didn't check it out that much. For a small setup there's a free version.

4. driekus

driekus Registered Member

I have used ClearOS in the past and found it easy to use. It has a free community edition.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.