pfsense alternative

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by general001, May 21, 2016.

1. general001

general001 Registered Member

Has anybody got some experience with alternative router/firewall software (excluding pfsense and also exluding DD-WRT/Open WRT/Tomato)?

I have followed mirimir's magnificent (thank you for you effort!) guide and a comprehensive guide that could be found on AIRVPN forum regarding pfsense (in essence what I have done is setting up a pfsense VM to host a VPN client and route traffic to another Linux VM from it).

I was wondering about adding another layer of a VM-firewall to my setup beside pfsense (preferably Linux-based small footprint firewall distro as I'd like its firewall to be based on netfilter architecture, like Untangle; there just seems to be so little choice). Has anybody got some experience, suggestions?

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

It's not hard in plain Debian.

3. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

I had a quick look at the Sophos UTM (which I believe is Linux based) before going down the pfsense route. But I didn't check it out that much. For a small setup there's a free version.

4. driekus

driekus Registered Member

I have used ClearOS in the past and found it easy to use. It has a free community edition.