PestPatrol

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Snook, Jul 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snook

Snook Registered Member

PestPatrol is probably the most under rated piece of privacy/security software out there. When all others have let me down (ie., Adaware Plus, TDS3, Spybot S&D, HijackThis, SpyCop, etc.), PestPatrol not only detected, but removed either the RAT, adware, keylogger, etc. Hats off to PestPatrol and their team!

Bravo zulu

Snook sends, :cool:

2. bolas

bolas Guest

3. dog

dog Guest

Hi all, ;)

I wouldn't say it's under-rated ... actually I think it's rather over-rated an needs to be improved upon. I have no issue with the program, or UI itself ... but PP seems to have several issue's with false/positives. I know no program is perfect ... but PP compared with pay and freeware versions of other anti-spy scanners/detectors, their F/P rate is almost laughable, and corrections to these F/P's seem to take extraordinarily long ... ie. the CWS.googleMS3 F/P's went on forever and ever. Another example from this month - Here. Another concern, surf around their website, the amount of dead links is staggering, while this maybe unimportant to some, to me it signifies the type of lack of detail they have ... the company seems to be headed in the wrong direction, I use to like the product ... but if I were to spend more cold hard cash to buy Lic' Software, I'd buy Webroots' Spysweeper hands down over PP (yes, I know Spysweeper has issues too). With that said, in all reality I wouldn't buy either of these programs, as the best anti-spy scanners available to date ... are all Free ... No.1 Spybot, No.2 Ad-Aware .... and Bazooka a distant third compared to the first two. That's my opinion anyway. ;)

That lack of detail I mention in regards to those dead links on their site ... is the same lack of detail that leads to those F/P's ... you need to look no further than that CWS.Google.MS3 F/P ... it was picking up a registry Kill Bit! Inserted thankfully by a donateware/ freeware program by Javacool. Leaving the end-user chasing their tail ... PP deletes ... protection removed in SB ... protection re-enable .... PP detects and deletes ... on and on.

dog - *puppy*

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2004
  4. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Pestpatrol is a bit sucky. I downloaded it, it gave me tons of false positives instead. I was shocked when it showed me that it found a CWS variant. But i knew that somethin' was fishy, so I used CWShredder to check, NO CWS on my computer at all! I don't like pestpatrol, it's performance is poor, and it's NO. 1 at FPs.
    They should give pestpatrol the No. 1 false positive product award of the year! :D

5. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Unless its changed a heap in the last year i would have to say its really over rated too . I can remember some real intense threads about this issue that are worth a looksie. If you go to search .

Last edited: Jul 8, 2004
  6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Indeed. WIth FPs so common, it may occasionally hit the right target by chance alone.

Even a broken clock is right 2 times a day or so the saying goes lol.

7. tImEwArP

tImEwArP Guest

I would say give 'Omniquad antispy' the FP of the year award. 255 FPs, most from SpywareBlaster. In my tests it beat Pest Patrol hands down for most FPs in a (so-called) anti-spyware product.

8. dread

dread Registered Member

9. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

If it works well for you then that is great .

Last edited: Jul 8, 2004
  10. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

I have tried PP a good while back. I *thought* it was good, found things, etc. etc. But gradually I found out I was on the wrong track.

I used to blindly follow it, not realising I was actually compromising my system further than *the protection* it offered.

This statement:

I would agree with whole-heartedly. [actually I also do own SpySweeper and only one FP in the 5 months I have had it].

As to someone saying to simply drop the FP's on ignore... well that's fine, IF you know what you are doing. The fairly new/novice user would think, WOW, look at all the baddies. [I *used* to be one of them]. The majority of people relying on a program like that want it to be at least in the very high percentile bracket in correct detection.

Now, the kicker is, you are actually paying a LOT of money for it into the bargain. $40US.... not cheap.

Their forums are closed, wth is that about. I can maybe understand a 'freebie' not having money to support/maintain a forum based feedback, but not one that is a "profit making company" on such an issue.

PP has to lift their game, IMO.
    Updating is not up to par and that is a bad issue. The "freebie" ones do a lot more regularly, why can't a "paid" one do it also.

There are malware/trojans/keyloggers/etc. etc. written EVERY day, now I know it's not feasible to keep up with them all, but by geeze they sure have to at least try.

here:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,9806103~mode=flat

I have no intention of trying to fuel the fire by these remarks, but stating simple facts from my *own* [NOTE: *own*] personal experiences.

As I said, I have used it previously, and I did like it, but the FP's just-a kept on comin' and that got way beyond the norm for me. Plus the updates kept getting fewer and fewer in between.

Actually, I have just scanned my system with all apps and I think I will try an online scan with PP to see what happens.

Cheers, TAS

11. Delirium

Delirium Guest

12. Ineedhelp26

Ineedhelp26 Registered Member

It has worked good for me so far.

13. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Delirium and Ineedhelp26 :)

That's great you guys found it to our liking, and I must admit, I have not tried it for a few months so maybe indeed they have lifted their game and if that is the case then good on them. ;)

The trouble is, usually when something goes wrong/or you are not happy with a program, you don't tend to persevere with it and move onto another proggy which will suit your needs, as PP does in the case of you guys. So that's good to see.

Cheers guys, TAS

14. Ineedhelp26

Hmm, speaking of false positives. I heard something about the ISTbar it detects. Ok, what exactly does this mean? It detected that for me and I deleted and quarantined it and it hasn't screwed up my computer or anything. So, what exactly is bad about it detecting that?

15. rrainbow

rrainbow Registered Member

Hello all,
    I tried it once and I won't go back to it because I downloaded another anti-spy software on my computer while I had PP on it and Guess What the new anti-software found a Spyware that PP had installed On My Computer!! So needless to say I Deleted and have Never looked back!!! I've never liked Spy Bot or adaware but I tried Spy bot again and it has Improved and Adaware is not that bad either, but I like Spy bot better. I would rather be Guaranteed that a software Will Detect ALL spyware on my computer before Handing out $$$$ - that makes them get tons of money! :doubt:

16. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I doubt that very much. this is a company with a good product. there can allways be some f/p involved. tds-3 some days ago, spybot with dso, adaware with host, ......

ok, the service could been better that is true. the updates could be more frequently but saying Pestpatrol is spyware, man you got to proove first and then say such things otherwise it would be a waste of everybody's time.

bye

17. Ineedhelp26

It's a compatibility problem. When I first downloaded SpybotSD it gave me a warning about it and certain things with Ad-Aware and Pest Patrol. Also, an out of date Pest Patrol detects cd_clint.dll as a trojan and zipdll.dll as an exploit in your SpybotSD folder. Your problem was something similar I'm sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.