Perhaps related...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rico, May 5, 2022.

1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Yesterday spoke with Intel Tech.

His conclusion was my 'slow boot' was system related, & not Windows related

_____

Dell XPS 8930 i7, sata 2tb + ssd, optane mem. Configured, built by Dell.

The hdd failed! Replaced same 'same size Sea Gate drs. Restore Macrium (many thanks to Mr. Brian K)

Somewhat problematic annoying result was "Slow Boot" & Normal 'fast' windows.

I thought I solved it with a 'cold boot', worked once! Always suspected RST (Intel Rapid Storage) was involved. With product key at Dell found, marked 'urgent' new RST driver. Download/install, during install, "You cannot Unistall this Driver" proceed, reboot required. Windows wants "user/pass from a previously used email address. Inside windows looks way different. But still slow boot.

RST's icon missing from 'system tray' prompted me to research a lot, and speak to both Intel & Dell.

Guessing install rst caused, registry issues with windows, & those changes were evident, in windows.

I do have prior backups. A new restore, will result in 'slow boot' 'fast' windows.
    Dell's "Support Assist" found 0 issues.

Any Ideas?

2. Spartan

Spartan Registered Member

My Dell XPS 13 9310 has a single 2TB PCIe 4 SSD, even though there is no RAID, Dell always sets the BIOS to RST (RAID) as it provides better performance with the RAID controller. This is the IRST VMD Driver that mine uses:

ss.png

I can upload that same INF driver so you could upload through device manager your self and see if it improves things.

Also, take a look at your startup programs. I use a program called BootRacer that tells me exactly what is slowing down the boot process, which has improved my boot time big-time including a setting it does to prevent a 10-second Explorer.exe delay upon startup. That is only available in the paid version but it was worth every buck for a lifetime license.

3. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Ok! I'll try! windows update, windows store, & Intel tech did not recommend failing to update or suggest
    upload_2022-5-5_12-56-21.png
    Currently using
    upload_2022-5-5_12-57-38.png

4. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

your partner is DELL, not intel.

DELL latest intel is v17
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/de-de/product-support/product/xps-8930-desktop/drivers
    which is guaranteed to work, not later.

windows determine poerformance of the whole system, maybe you have to renew this index
    command line and
    0x8024001e
    means anything, corrupted files or registry , drivers, wrong system settings, malware, antivirus, other broken updates.
    maybe you should use SFC /scannow and DISM to repair your windows first.

yeah, greatis software, never ever.
    "useful" tools like unhackme, stopupdates10, regrun and more, no body need such crap on a vital system.

10s delay to fix
    https://www.howtogeek.com/403162/how-to-disable-the-windows-10-startup-delay/
    (at the end you can download a ZIP with ready settings if you dare about manual editing)

windows 10 autostart control, in taskmanager, do disable unneeded processes:
    https://win10faq.com/disable-enable-startup-programs/

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  5. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

For slow boot issues i recommend Windows Performance Recorder & Analyzer.

6. Brummelchen

7. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Timed stages reboot:

@
    Bios screen 1 min 24,
    Winlogon 1 min 54
    Pin 2 min 10

Last Startup to load 3min 11sec <total reboot time>

Reading Dells BIOS screen, takes the lions share of boot time. Noticed slow down after hdd replaced,

8. Brummelchen

WPA (with WPR) created (with some altered settings) 3 times ~4gig data and when trying to analyze it windows froze. yeah, thats what i like - not. uninstalled, sorry.

9. Brummelchen

10. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

11. Brummelchen

this do not harm my general intention that such tools are not needed. thats why it is a special answer in this thread and no new thread as an announcement. maybe he still wants to trial it out as a full version. i still do not care about the results or destruction. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.