Performing Full Recovery From External Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SettigRmX, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SettigRmX

SettigRmX Registered Member

High, I'm currently looking into different options for my laptop as I'd like to back up my data. I know there are many, but I have a specific problem.

I have an external drive, and my laptop's internal drive is being replaced later this week. If I do a full backup onto my external drive and create a bootable disc (CD-R) to launch TI Home from will I be able to restore this new drive into my old one?

What I'm trying to say is, can I use my backup on a fresh Hard Drive and not the one that I actually performed the backup from.

Thanks

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

That scenario is precisely one of the situations that True Image can handle. From the Rescue cd you just have to use the "Add New Drive" on the newly installed drive. Then use the Recover feature to restore the backup to the new drive. Just make sure the Rescue cd will see your external drive.

3. SettigRmX

So then what's the Universal Restore for Workstation thing I hear about?

and if using standard options to make the bootable CD, I am fine right or is there a specific one I'd need to click?

Thank you.

4. SettigRmX

Sorry to double post, but I have another scenario.

I plug in blank harddrive (B) into Harddrive bay number 2 on my laptop, I then proceed to clone harddrive A over to harddrive B via the Clone Harddrive option in TI Home, that also works, right (assuming that I remove Harddrive A and take out harddrive B and put into drive bay 1) ?

5. Ralphie

Universal Restore is needed when you Recover (Acronis' word for Restore) an Image to a hard drive on another Computer. You have to have drivers for the other Computer readily accessible during the Recovery process.

What laptop do you have that can have two hard drives at once? Yes, you do as you described if the computer cannot boot from the drive in bay 2 when that is the only drive installed.

When you make the bootable Rescue cd I don't think you have any options to choose - don't remember any.

6. SettigRmX

I've got a 10 month old HP Pavillion dv8000(t) (I'm not quite sure about the t, as the sticker doesn't have the t but when I plug in my product codes from the sticker on the laptop it sends me to the dv8000t page). It's a big laptop, 17" widescreen, and it's got 2 harddrive bays.

So, since I have all the same hardware, all I do is remove my Harddrive A, put in Harddrive B, and my boot disc.

OR

Run both at the same time and clone A over to B and take A out while booting from B?

Thanks.

7. Ralphie

Boot with the boot CD,
    Clone A to B,
    Remove A and if the laptop cannot boot from the B position, put it in the A position.

8. SettigRmX

I would need to change the boot order to boot to the CD drive first right?

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.