Performance - ESS v4

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by SBMongoos, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBMongoos

SBMongoos Registered Member

Anyone having performance issues with ESS v4 (4.0.417). Seems about two weeks ago after an update my internet speeds have slowed. Haven't done anything at this end except due the usual checks and balances with the PC and Comcast was showing stellar results with their tests.

Firewall module is 1045 if that helps.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You should update to the latest build .437 which bundles the FW module 1046 which has a lot of fixes for slow speeds.

3. SBMongoos

Cool! You recommend an uninstall of ESS and then install .437?

4. no_idea

no_idea Registered Member

5. SBMongoos

6. no_idea

ups - my bad!

Of course you do first export your firewall settings via the advanced mode:

Setup - Import and Export settings ... (*) Export settings (select filename of your choice)

After reinstallation (you may even skip the username password question) go directly to the advanced mode and import your previous settings.

Reboot and everything should be as it was before (besides the bugs of course ;) )

7. SBMongoos

Very nice! I didn't know you could do that. Is that the only thing to concern myself with other than uninstall/cleanup -> reinstall and import FW settings? And where does the export file get dumped? I don't get an option of where to save it. Plus this export must cover any email tweaks I've done for SPAM and save addresses, etc?

8. no_idea

Actually you export all of your settings including username and password, scheduled jobs etc

After doing a botched install of .437 over .424 in testmode and thus ruining the installation, I had to do exactly that and had no problems at all.

Since I have put quite a little thought into my firewall settings and would hate to lose them, I back them up in a regular fashion -> this precaution (plus the regular system backup) have covered my ass several times in the past :D

9. philby

philby Registered Member

Just so you know - if you install over the top, you are given the option to keep all current settings, thus removing the need to go back up the firewall's interactive settings curve.

Of course, if you completely uninstall first and start clean, you mitigate the risk of nightmares.... but I got tired of doing that for each upgrade and have never had any problems at all.

Regarding how to export and where to save settings, take a look here.

philby

10. SBMongoos

Weird. I deal with sort of thing frequently and I swear I did not have the save earlier. I had to reboot as the PC was acting odd. Hmm. Anyway, onward.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  11. SBMongoos

Done.

Odd as I updated FW 1045 to 1046 manually as described elsewhere in the forum. Some where along the line an auto update must have overwritten and rolled it back to 1045. No? Only thing that makes sense. So perhaps 1046 would not update automatically and/or work in version .417?

12. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

1046 should be the default in .437 without needing an update. Have you perhaps got test mode enabled?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.