PerfectDisk Rx Suite from Raxco

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Chubb, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

PerfectDisk Rx Suite from Raxco

http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdiskRxSuite/index.cfm

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

PerfectDisk has been a leader when it comes to defragmentation, but I wonder how they will fare with the other tools, such as registry cleaning, in the new product?

3. DCM

DCM Registered Member

They offer a free trial. I am going to download it and give it a quick try before buying. It is offered on the "download" tab of their site.

4. screamer

screamer Registered Member

DCM, let us know how you make out w/ this. I came here to post about "PerfectDisk Rx Suite" but saw this thread...

e-mail claims safe registry cleaning. Currently I use JV-16 2006 & Tune-Up 2007 for registry issues. Both find different things and have been safe so far. Just wondering if this is another tool to add to the arsenal.

...screamer

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Please note there is no boot-time defrag in this version.

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Yeah DCM let us know what you think. I got a coupon code for it good till the 13th. :D

7. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

He he.... somehow I doubt too many reg cleaners would admit to wrecking ur registry whilst cleaning it. :D

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

It surprises me that PerfectDisk Rx has total different screens. I expected PD8 + additional features.
    The registry cleaner is not important for me, I don't need any software regarding registry.
    I replace my registry with the original registry along with Windows and Applications during each reboot. I'm doing this for months already without problems.
    I don't waste my time on problems anymore and that means more time for creative thinking and improvements.

9. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

And that's what it has - they've re-designed it so it all fits under one UI, but not all the features of PD8 are there. It's a version without all the bells and whistles.

10. ErikAlbert

I consider this as a disadvantage. If I would need its registry cleaner, I have to install PDRx in each snapshot and PDRx requires more space than a pure registry cleaner. Registry cleaning has nothing to do with defragging. The same counts for the other new functions of PDRx.
    That's how each software becomes bloatware, when you start expanding it with features, that have nothing to do with its original job. :)

11. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

The lack of a boot-time defrag for anyone using a Windows OS is a downgrade from PD8, as Windows tends to spread its system files across the disk. :thumbd:

12. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

I've already uninstalled PerfectDisk Rx Suite due to the program hanging ironically while using the defrag option. Tried to analyze the C drive (as administrator) but it froze on me several times. Then tried to defrag and it wouldn't budge. I'm running Vista Home Prem. (32) on a Dell XPS 410 bought in Nov 2006 so it's not an old buggy. ;)

13. OliverK

OliverK Registered Member

I've just downloaded and run the program.
    My opinion ... it's a complete waste of space.
    Sorry Raxco.
    It doesn't allow you to selectively choose which corrections it's going to make - it just makes them!
    Then when you clean the cookies out and realise that it should not have cleaned some of them (there's no option to save particular cookies - they all go!), good luck trying to find a 'recovery' option. There isn't one!!
    In my opinion your best bet is still a couple of specific programs dedicated to specific purposes.
    Perfectdisk is a good defragger - so keep that by itself.
    Choose a good registry cleaner (TuneUp Utilities 2007 or WINASO Registry Optimizer are my top choices - and allow you to selectively choose things!).
    Choose a good system cleaner (CCleaner is free and does a brilliant job - and allows you to selectively choose things!).
    Then you'll have a top-notch, first class, 'suite' where each program can be individually tuned and which have options to recovery things that were accidentally deleted.
    Simple really.
    Just my thoughts.

14. DCM

DCM Registered Member

I am going to uninstall this program in a few minutes. Ran the defragger and do not like it as much as PerfectDisk and with it lacking the boot time defrag, it is less useful to me. I would have to leave both programs on the computer to get all the benefits of the original PerfectDisk.

Ran the registry cleaner and had no input. It said "fixed 29 problems" and that was all I needed to see. I quit using System Mechanic after Version 5 for this same reason. I want to see everything they are going to remove, not have me let them do it based on faith.

15. ErikAlbert

You are right. PerfectDisk Rx is a step back, not a step forward and what you get more is worthless compared with other softwares and in this case even bloatware, because these new functions have nothing to do with defragging. :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

16. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

other than the boot defrag, what is missing?

17. toasale

toasale Registered Member

I've done extensive testing with Raxco and, even though I have not tried the Suite nor do I plan to, I feel they're going in the wrong direction here. Many advanced users think they understand the registry, but they do not. Playing in this area will make an advanced user an expert, because of redo's.

I've betaed with Registry First Aid; it's a best-of-breed, but...stay out of the registry!

:blink:

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I understand that PD Rx defrags in the background like Diskeeper. That's the main reason I switched to PD8. I think PD Rx is aimed at folks starting out in computing. That's why they made a suite. Most people have stand alone registry cleaners and PD8 already, so this suite is useless to us. I only switched to PD8 a month ago from Diskeeper.

19. ErikAlbert

I admit that I don't understand the registry. That's why I replace my registry with the original registry during each reboot and that keeps me away from the registry, because I don't need to be there.

20. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Gave it a whirl here as well.Not overly impressed.

Will be sticking with PD7, Ccleaner and Regseeker.

To make a manual backup of the reg:
    Start - run - "regedit /e X:\Backup.reg" (no quotes). Replace X with the partition you want to save the backup reg file and which will be quite large.

21. ErikAlbert

That's a difficult one for average users. :D.

22. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

23. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Surely this is true, if not, this is a very weak effort from Raxco, sort of like selling lemonade on the side to raise a few bucks. In addition, I was a tad bit peeved when I opened the program for the first time and without so much as running a scan it was very blunt in telling me my computer was in poor condition. It would have been polite to at least look in the closet before it told me I was slovenly.

24. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I don't know all the technical details, but I'd read comments on their blog, which indicated it's not quite the same as the main program:

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i too gave it a try, not impressed either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.