PerfectDisk 10 coming next Tuesday 27 Feb 2009

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Chubb, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I've all ready had a peek. Not all that impressed. One thing, on XP3 it wiped out the MFT reserved zone. Not sure if that's significant or not.

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

As a current user, they sent me a copy to do an upgrade. I like the slight change in the Gui, but having just done a defrag I'll have to wait to take it for a run. :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  4. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I have PD and not that impressed with it new build or old. Claims for defraggers are mostly bogus. :thumbd:

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That issue has been well thrashed here. This thread is about PD 10. Lets keep it at that.

Pete

6. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Same here, and other than a somewhat improved look, I'm not seeing enough of a change to purchase. I've developed doubts about their modified-strategy vs placing directories toward the faster part of the disk, etc. I still think PD10's analysis action is rather slow. :doubt:

7. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

There's only so much they can improve with regards to defragmenters. IMHO, there's really not much to improve anymore. Lucky for me, I'm getting a free copy of PD 10 since I bought PD 2008 when they ran a promotion (about getting PD 10 for free). Otherwise, I'd suggest to stick with the old build if you use PD.

8. RAD

RAD Registered Member

I'm a PD 2008 user who got the free upgrade a week ago.

The new version works fine; but I don't see much improvement. Is it faster ? Better ?...maybe a little, but not enough to realy notice anything.

In spite of my lackluster review, I really like PD and have been very happy with it. I leave it on "stealth patrol" and all my drives are continually very near zero % fragmentation.

9. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

But the stealthpatrol only kicks in once a day in screensavermode not 24/7 right?

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

- Smart automatic StealthPatrol
    Working during computer idle times, StealthPatrol now intelligently self-adjusts to conserve valuable system resources.

11. ambient_88

How did you get the free upgrade? Did Raxco send you an email?

12. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Yer we got it last week,

13. ambient_88

Hmm... I didn't purchase extended support, however, I think the upgrade protection applies to me. I bought my copy of PD 2008 when they ran a promotion that entitled me to a free upgrade to PD 10. I guess they'll send me an email sometime this week.

Thanks for the response, btw.

14. Defcon

Defcon Registered Member

15. RAD

RAD Registered Member

No; even in 2008 stealth Patrol would kick in any time the system was idle, not necessarily associated with any screensaver.
    What it won't do is re-defragment a given drive more than once a day. But if you really want to do that, Raxco has a downloadable batch file that can set PD to "continuous defragmenting".

I am also skeptical of whether an aftermarket defragmenter is really necessary; but it does seem to work a lot better than most. I think it is just that you don't want to let your drive get progressively more fragmented until it is like 10% or more. I don't think there is much difference between 0.1% and 1.2% for example.

With stealth patrol, I just rarely even think about it, and when I do check, it is like this:
    Capture.JPG

Notice the time stamp is just two minutes before I posted, so I must have interrupted it, maybe it was working as a separate processs on my dual-core even though I was using the computer ? I dunno.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  16. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

I believe someone must have burst their marketing bubbles, since their giving away drastic promotions these days :rolleyes:

.... Or perhaps someone has unmasked the real values of these "fantistic" defragmenters ? :blink:

17. SirRobin

SirRobin Registered Member

Hi guys already retail version released Raxco PerfectDisk 10 v10.00.093 Professional

18. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

The marketing bubble was broken by the general economic world-wide recession forcing many firms to fight to stay in business.

I agree on the second sentence- no single software category has been hyped as much as defragmenters with as little value to the user.

19. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

anyone else have the issue where if you choose to exit the program upon closing it reverts back to the go to task bar option?

20. Criss

Criss Registered Member

i also have this issue.

21. boonie

boonie Registered Member

Just got the free upgrade and tried it out. I didn't have Peter's issue with the MFT, but like Criss and zfactor, the program keeps reverting to "Minimize to tray. I sent support an email regarding this.

@Defcon: thanks for the link. I'll be interested to see how well W7's defrag works. If it performs as well as they hope, then that's one less program to install.

22. ambient_88

I believe you can set PerfectDisk to minimize in the system tray or exit right away. As far as I am concerned, I haven't experienced any problems yet.

23. norky

norky Registered Member

Thats when you hit analyze i think

24. boonie

boonie Registered Member

That's what I did, However the program keeps reverting to minimize to system tray each time I re-open it. I'll see what support says. They're usually very prompt in their replies.

25. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I was looking to see how I get my free upgrade and came across this info:
    http://www.perfectdisk.com/support/kb/810

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.