Peppermint OS - Uninspiring

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Feb 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Here we go: A review of Peppermint OS, a distribution based on Lubuntu and running with Openbox desktop, covering live session, installation and post-install usage, with Wireless, Bluetooth, Samba sharing, multimedia - Flash, MP3 playback, look and feel, applications, software management, performance and stability, small problems, and more.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/peppermint.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

Interesting review. I always avoid distributions without a strong development team behind it. There are too many projects which are abandoned after a few years.
    Bit offtopic: Have you tried the unity interface in 11.04? Has your opinion changed since the last review?

3. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

For a moment I thought you were talking about Google; they have a great and strong development team and they have abandoned a few projects already. :D.

Thanks.

4. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Peppermint One was actually put together by a couple of guys from Asheville, North Carolina (about 2 hours driving time from where I live). One of them (Kendall) helps out on Mint and has been a Moderator (maybe still is) at their forum. They have a more recent version out than the 8-4-10 which you tested namely 1-4-11. Like you I didn't care for the Cloud (Prism) apps so I deleted them and installed "real" apps, but the trend is cloud you know. If you want a distro that's fast and light...that gives you a good starting foundation on which to build...then Peppermint is for you. It's very configurable. Every problem I encountered I found a solution...from autologin (navigate to /etc/xdg/peppermint/lxdm and open the configuration file) to auto-opening/playing inserted USB drives or DVD movies (thank you halevt). The only reason I'm not still using Peppermint is in their latest release (1-4-11) they've totally dropped Hal which means no auto-playing DVDs, etc., and I can't stand the way pcmanfm handles it. Also, your comments about Peppermint's color (ever see a peppermint hard candy?) reminds me of mine concerning Mint...but the color can be easily changed. As far as cold start ram usage goes mine was around 90mbs. Don't let Igor's review of Peppermint turn you off towards it. It's a really good distro. I loved it while I was using it. And, besides, Kendall and Shane are almost neighbors of mine...;). I go through AsheVille every time we go to the beach.

Later...

5. katio

katio Guest

That's what Google, Apple et al want you to believe. There's a lot of money to be made there, for them.

About hal: all distros are dropping or already have dropped it, it's deprecated and it was paint to start with. udev is where it's at now.
    This might be useful:
    http://serverfault.com/questions/21327/run-a-command-when-a-disk-is-inserted-linux
    more geared for Arch:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev
    http://igurublog.wordpress.com/downloads/script-devmon/

Instead of pacmanfm you might also want to install thunar.

6. Trespasser

One of the first things I did when I installed Peppermint One was change over to thunar from pcmanfm because of the auto-opening USBs and DVD movies and was quite happy...for a while. Then the no direct deletion of files in thunar started bugging me (it sends everything you delete to Trash). So, I switched back to pcmanfm and started looking for solutions and found them.

BTW, thanks for the links. I'll check them out right now.

Later....

7. katio

katio Guest

Shift+delete ;)

8. Trespasser

I've heard and read alot about keyboard shortcuts and such but personally I never use them. About the only ones I've ever used was ctrl+alt+delete and ctrl+alt+backspace (does nothing now). I did pick this one up recently (good in an emergency)...alt+sys rq+k, which has proven useful. It kicks you back to session login...at least under Ubuntu.

Later...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  9. katio

katio Guest

You didn't try very hard now did you? :p

edit>configure custom actions
    press the "+"
    Name: "Directly Delete" (or something)
    Command: rm -r %F

in the appearance conditions tab:
    select all check boxes

You now have a new context menu entry.

BTW you should really give the keyboard a chance, especially as a Linux user you should know better than to click on shiny icons. It's faster and better for your carpal tunnel.

---

Further excuses will be deal with in the same manner, and no, I'm not the developer of thunar or Peppermint :p

10. Trespasser

Now I'll have to install Peppermint, then thunar, just to see if that little trick will actually work. Curse you. But, you have given me something to do tomorrow...if I have the time. BTW, I like shiny icons...:cool: .

Thanks for the tip...that is if it works.

Later...

11. katio

katio Guest

You are welcome :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.