Peper, Norton popup and lack of 'net.

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Kashira, May 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kashira

Kashira Guest

According to online information I've come across, my computer has been infected with the Peper trojan, amongst other things. Most of the programs I was able to remove with AdAware, but something seems to be very persistent. I've also noticed right away, before I'd gotten to fixing a sudden plague of pop-ups and massive amounts of adware probably downloaded by the rest of my family my Internet had suddenly ..stopped working, for lack of better words. The wireless LAN shows as connected and running, and everything seems fine, but nothing will connect to the internet.
    "I don't know if this one only affects NAV users but it was quite cunning. A message window appears on screen, looking exactly like those yellow, Norton Antivirus messages (complete with Norton logo). The message says that NAV cannot continue because some of its files had been deleted. It then gives you a hyperlink - supposedly to Symantec's web site - where you can go and repair your installation. However, if you click on the link, a DOS box appears and starts downloading spyware onto your PC. Fortunately, I noticed it quite quickly and rebooted immediately."
    I don't have the link to the forum where I found this, but this would describe a symptom of -something- I know shouldn't be on my computer. I knew better than to click the "Norton" pop-up, so the DOS part I can only guess would be what would have happened.

I apologize for the vagueness I may have in putting out my problems..

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi Kashira, :)

Welcome to Wilders'. :)

You should post a HJT log in the Hijack Spyware Forum. You first must register as a member (which is free) ->Read this Post Then Read This Post -> For Instructions after you've read thru this post, Click on this Link and post your log in a new thread, select the new thread button in the upper left.

The Experts are All excellent here ... and will provide you assistance to resolving any problems. Your in Good Hands here at Wilders'.

HTH :)

dog - *puppy*

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2004
  3. Kashira

Kashira Guest

I'm hoping registration doesn't involve a confirmation e-mail.. from this computer I have no way to get into my e-mail addresses, and can't get to any other computers that do.

4. dog

dog Guest

Hi Kashira, ;)

I don't remember if you need to confirm your registration by responding to a confirmation email.

You can setup a yahoo email account ... it's free ... just input info requested by them like:

Name: john smith
    Street: 123 Any street

etc. Here's a link to registration - Yahoo Mail

Then go to the get mail page Here sign in using your yahoo id + which is the part before the @ in your yahoo mail & enter your password.

HTH

dog - *puppy*

5. dog

dog Guest

Hi Kashira, ;)

Looks like you registered OK ... :D

So here's the official ... Welcome to Wilders' ;) Enjoy your stay we're glad you're Here! :)

dog - *puppy*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.