Peazip archiving software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dogbite, Dec 5, 2014.

1. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I am using Peazip since a few days.

http://peazip.org/

It's really a great tool. UI is much better than 7Zip. Also Peazip has much more features.
    1. Creating very easily scripts to automate archiving creation, works great with windows task scheduler.
    2. Can be used also as a file manager, with integrated secure deletion of files.
    3. Supports lots of formats. Personally I am archiving in ARC, Blowfish448 encrypted. Encryption can be done also using keyfiles.

In conclusion, I find it much better than 7zip. It's also available as portable and for Linux.

2. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

WinRAR is so bloat free, and so heavily engineered, and regularly updated I will probably use it my entire life.

3. guest

guest Guest

Is PeaZip still using 7-Zip's engine? I believe it still does.

EDIT: Yep, it still does. Just checked it on their homepage.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2014
  4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@dogbite personally I use HaoZip. Like you, I don't like (hate would be a better word) the UI in 7Zip.

5. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion, I was looking for a way to replace dead 7-zip and it has all I need, like SFX, 64-bit and portable versions.
    Except, it is not free.

6. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Good point. Sorry.

I did pay for it many years ago.

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Well I was actually referring to that, that people can use it for free with a trial popup message, which is illegal, but I believe it was done on purpose, but still not free.

8. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I second this. Fast, countless options, excellent compression ratio etc. but frankly any archiving software, including Windows inbuilt, is better than Winzip.

9. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

WinRAR is a fine product. Dismissing trial abuse, cracks, deals and giveaways, it's price hovers at $29US.

PeaZip, another fine product, hovers at free. (I've made an occasional donation, but donations are not an option for those without the means or a concern for some even with the means.) I've been using it for years.

Even if I wanted to pay for an archive app, I'd still go with PeaZip for the range of encryption choices and I'm partial to Serpent256 for the self-extracting archives I use to store critical personal data.

Unlike PeaZip, WinRAR has AES256 only. Not that there's anything wrong with that and for systems with instructions on the CPU, screaming fast if you're securing archives worth 100's of gigabytes.

No one can go wrong with PeaZip and it has all the features extolled here for WinRAR and then some. It's current and in continuing development. In fact, Giorgio just released v5.5.1. For free.

Cheers.

10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

WinRAR is an incredible product considering you only have to pay for it once. WinZip was nice until it became an annual upgrade. Anything is better than the 7-zip UI. Peazip is probably ok, but I don't mind paying for good software.

11. roger_m

Agreed. I've always hated WinZip.

12. StillBorn

StillBorn Registered Member

Peazip is also frequently updated. I've received roughly three updates in the past 12 - 14 months.

13. StillBorn

StillBorn Registered Member

Case in point--- I just downloaded another update today (although the update may have been available for a week or two). Way worthy of mention, the installer from Peazip's website doesn't force/opt out OpenCandy or any other ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ down your throat. Fingers crossed that it remains that way.

14. guest

guest Guest

PeaZip v6.5.0 Released (October 22, 2017)
    Website
    Changelog
    Mentioned at GHacks:

15. guest

guest Guest

PeaZip v6.5.1 Released (February 18, 2018)
    Website
    Changelog
    This release includes updated 7-zip libraries.

16. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I tried it. Nice ! But I can't find the versions history: more of three years without updates ?

17. guest

guest Guest

What do you mean?
    Peazip is regularily updated :cautious:

18. roger_m

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  19. guest

guest Guest

Ah, now i see it. 2013-2016 :)

20. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

21. guest

guest Guest

22. guest

guest Guest

PeaZip v6.6.0 Released (May 6, 2018)
    Website
    Changelog

23. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Funny, I was looking for a good unzipping utility, will check it out. It amazes how many crappy unzipping tools there are. The simplest is ExtractNow, but I believe it doesn't fully support the 7z format.

24. guest

guest Guest

Yes, a lot :)
    The latest version of ExtractNow is from April 2017 and is using an old library [7z.dll]. This should be manually updated (if you really want to use ExtractNow :cautious:)
    [especially regarding latest vulnerabilities, for example CVE-2018-10115 or: #52]

The same goes for other Unpackers of which the developer has not released a newer version in the last time (old version = old libraries).

25. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

The thing is that most ZIP tools don't clearly state where files are going to be extracted, it's insane. It seems like Peazip does do this, so that's cool. What I like about old versions of ExtractNow is that all files are extracted into their own folder, seems like in newer versions this feature has been removed strangely enough.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.