PE9 & Disk Errors

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by marse.robert, Dec 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marse.robert

marse.robert Registered Member

Hi all,

In the beginning, I became aware of some small glitches in Windows performance and a freeze in the mouse. I did a quick "dskchk" which revealed "unallocated space and problem with bitmap." This error could not be fixed by dskchk.

I did a Google check on the problem and found that this problem was well documented: the final analysis was "don't worry about it." However, as time went by, Windows problems mounted.

In desperation, I reformatted and started from scratch. As I installed each of my Applications I ran dskchk - I then arrived at PE9 build 1461. This Acronis product had earlier caused great headaches as it would not install. My solution to this installation problem was to install PE9 before any other Application, otherwise to successfully install PE9, I had to do a custom install. Naturally, I contacted Acronis about the issue: and naturally they refused to answer my plight.

Returning to my last problem. After re-installing PE9 and running a dskchk, I found, to my relief, no problems. I then, however, ran the complete application and did a dskchk. Lo and behold, the error had returned.

Just prior to ditching PE9, I decided to look at my disk vis Partition Magic. The disk in question is a Maxtor 150 Gb and Windows has the complete disk to itself. For whatever reason, in running PE9, there existed 1.6 Gb of unallocated space on the disk. I just could not believe it.

So. Try again. This time, I placed PE9 onto a virgin copy of Windows XP Pro. Partition Magic told me that I had the full complement of the Maxtor. I then ran PE9 and deleted all that the Application asked. Again, dskchk informed me of the dreaded error, and Partition Magic showed me a 1.6 Gb unallocated space on the Maxtor.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I'm not sure how PE could be causing your problem, as it doesn't need to do anything special to the harddrive at install time, unlike for example OSS in DD10.

So if it is the culprit, it must be via causing something else to misbehave.

What happens if you uninstall PE ? Does this mysterious 1.6Gb disappear?

Which chkdsk switch are you trying? The most comprehensive one is chkdsk /r.

What other programs do you have running in the background - see msconfig or task manager.

What happens if you don't install Partition Magic?

Colin

3. marse.robert

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your reply and your most searching questions.

1: The installation of the latest build of PE9 is problematical and well-documented. For me, if I place PE9 on my system early in the process, the installation runs fine. However, if I place PE9 on my system later, then I have to do a custom installation.

With respect to the chkdsk switch: I have been using the /f switch. I thought the /f switch and /r switch were the same animal: that is "fix" and "repair."

The problem I am experiencing is not the installation issue as much as what PE9 does. Prior to running PE9, chkdisk C: /f is totally happy with the system, on executing PE9 I receive the "unallocated space" error. As chkdsk cannot cure the error, I consult Partition Magic.

So far, I must confess that I haven't attempted to uninstall PE9 and see if the unallocated space disappears. I will try that and let you know what happens.

Programs in background;
    Soundman,
    NvCpl,
    "nwiz",
    NvMcTray,
    BTHelpNotifier,
    ybrwicon,
    TrueImageMonitor,
    TimounterMonitor,
    Nod32,
    Agnitum Outpost,
    Spysweeper UI,
    cftmon,
    Skype,
    GoogleToolBar,
    Adobe Reader,
    BtBroadband Hub

The Spysweeper has arrived in place of PE9. I would, however, much prefer to have PE9.

Thanks again, Colin.

Marserobert

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

The R switch does a low level sector search and tries to correct errors at a bit level, F just marks them as nasty. The 'F' switch can recover information, but it works at a different level to 'R', which is more thorough.

Colim

5. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Registered Member

My problem is differs from you ... mine is an installation problem, where the installation script keeps keeps aborting, except for the CUSTOM installation of the main module. I cannot install the ad blocker, which I don't care for any way, because Windows can take care of that well enough. Nor can I install the active Malware Shield - which again, I don't have much use for, because my F-Secure suite takes care of that.

But overall, I must say that this application is mediocre at best, a disappointment really. I have been dealing with the "support" team - I place the word between quotation marks because I don't think they fit the any part of the definition for that word - and after five or six attempts back and forth, I just gave up.

The long and short of it - Acronis better clean up its act and get the bugs out of this application.

My two cents!

Cheers!

6. marse.robert

Hi Uncle Ben,

I have been reading a Post by "Terrierman" on this issue.
    Have you TI10 installed? If so, "Terrierman" claims that uninstalling TI10 and reinstalling PE9 solves the problem. As of yet, I have not tried this method.

7. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Registered Member

Hi marse.robert. Yes, I've been there already, it didn't work for me. I thought it may have to do with my firewall/AV software (F-Secure) - so I un-installed it, re-booted; un-installed TI and PE; and re-installed PE ... same problem. The installation script rolls back and aborts. You know, to have issues with software from time to time is to be expected; and I really don't mind them when there are people available to listen and take action to address the issues. But with Acronis, their support is mediocre at best. Even when an issue is acknolwedged and replicated in-house, months and years later, the issues are still there ... carried over from one revision to the next. One poster got hot with me for bitching and calling them a bunch of incompents... well, so be it. I'll continue to bitch as loud as I can until someone at Acronis listens. Perhaps they're not incompent, just inconsiderate - they just don't care. What say you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.