PE refuses to install

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by marse.robert, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marse.robert

marse.robert Registered Member

Hi all,
    Before I begin, I do appreciate the products of Acronis. I cannot say the same for Acronis support.

I am a registered owner of PE9. On trying to install this product I receive the following message: "The installer was interrupted before Acronis Privacy Expert Suite could be removed. You need to restart the installer to try again."
    I do not understand this message as I was installing PE9, and not removing it. I fired off an email to Acronis, immediately, on getting no response, I fired off another email to Acronis - no response!!

I then, uninstalled PE9 and downloaded another copy. I got the same message once more. I reformatted C: and downloaded a fresh copy of PE9: same message.

Can anyone help?

Marserobert

2. marse.robert

Acronis Support,

I think this situation is becoming ludicrous. If someone from this company doesn't get their finger out, I will be requesting a refund very, very shortly.

For heavens sake, Acronis, customers are your life blood: respect that view.

Very annoyed!!!

Marserobert

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

With TI it has been noted that this problem can be caused by temporary files lurking in the temp directory.

However, I'd try these steps to begin with.

1. If on DSL switch off the cable/adsl modem. WiFi etc or disconnect from PC.

2. Temporarily disable or unload all user loaded services - especially AV and Firewall software - note just exiting the icons on the taskbar won't unload all the background components of the AV or FW. The best way if doing this is either disabling in MSCONFIG or running SERVICES>MSC and switch them to either disabled or manual.

3. As you've attempted a couple of times to install PE, it might be worth eradicating any PE references in registry.

4. Attempt install of PE.

5. Set PE's security settings to low, for the moment.

6. Re-activate all services that you've disabled.

7. Reboot.

8. Do what ever if the FW gets excited about new software.

9. bring your DSL stuff back online.

10. Once happy that your previous stuff is working, you can try changing the security level of PE if you wish.

Note - PE has a possible bug on some systems. The security component doesn't always unload when the system 'kill PID' is initiated at shutdown - you might have to kill it from the pop up box. The other is that on some systems the video driver may cause Windows to freeze just after the GUI is loaded.

The answer here, is to have PE's security settings on low, and if this doesn't work, update your video cards drivers - this happened with my system.

If you get the freezing screen problem, you'll need to start up in XP safe mode - stop PE loading at startup through MSCONFIG\STARTUP , reboot, install the new driver - re-enable PE and away you go.

Colin

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  4. marse.robert

Hi Colin,

In desperation and lack of support from Acronis, I cleared everything from my computer, and started again from scratch. I then, attempted to reinstall PE: once more the dreaded message appeared.

I then followed your 10 recommended remedies! Hey Pal, you are the man. I have PE installed and running. I do not know what set of remedies cured the PE problem, but I am up and running: thanks to you.

Acronis could learn something, here. However, thanks very much, Colin, your time and consideration are appreciated.

Marserobert

5. slinky

slinky Registered Member

There is a definite issue with this software. I have a fresh system install that has nothing else but Microsoft Office and Acronis True Image, Acronis Disk Director and NOD32 installed. Turning off the antivirus and rebooting would not do the trick. I'm currently trying to go through this list and somehow get it to install. When it was installed prior it worked very well and never had spyware issues.

6. marse.robert

Hi Slinky.

Your problem appears to be very, very similar to the issue I had. Somwher in the previous response, lise the solution.
    I wish you well.

Marserobert

7. slinky

slinky Registered Member

Robert - thank you for your note. I've installed version prior versions but Acronis Privacy Suite will simply not install at all. It is absolutely infuriating. I've wasted so much time on this. Having almost nothing installed my PC, it's even more infuriating because this isn't a standard conflict.

8. radcomp

radcomp Registered Member

Tried the suggestions listed above, disabled all firewall, anti-virus services, rebooted and still got the '...installer could not complete...' msgbox. Finally did a custom install without the malware and pop-up blocker components (not sure the exact names) and the install went fine. Even with F-Secure running.

I have been a fan of acronis software but not real happy with all the time I spent getting this software to install. Kind of makes me hesitate to drop $999 for the server disk image product.

9. hima

hima Registered Member

hello, sorry if i speak bad english, i'm french ;)
    a had the same problem 3 hours ago but with acronis True Image, install finish, the icon apear in desktop but deseaper and exactly the same message ! The same problem with older versions of the software... reboot and uninstall all versions on my computer do nothing. But i remember that in the past i had disabled "acronis Scheduler2 service" of registry in startup windows. So certainly the uninstall software could not acces this feature because its like "locked" i think. So i re-enable this item , reboot, and try to install the soft again = ok install successfull :)
    i hope that it can help you !

10. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Registered Member

Ditto here. Are you happy with this? Out of three components, only one would install...

11. Uncle Ben

Has any one found a solution to this problem yet? I have spent the better part of the month corresponding back and forth with Acronis Sub-port and got absolutely nowhere with them ... so I gave up.

Cheers!

12. Terrierman

Terrierman Registered Member

Hi,
    This is my first posting on this forum. I have been very pleased with my other Acronis software, but Acronis are dragging their heels concerning PE and I am sure their credibility and business will suffer as a result.

I have only just experienced this installation problem with PE, but have had the Startup Hang problem for a very long time, and it was as a result of the Startup Hang that I decided to re-install PE. Then I met up with the install problem!

I think the PE install problem centres on the Malware Shield. I have found by going to the Custom install option it is possible to successfully install the main part of PE, and the Pop-up Blocker and therefore regain the majority of functionality, but the Malware Shield refuses to install as per before. Luckily I have other Spyware protection (even though disabling this will not allow the PE Malware Shield to install).

Hope this is of some use.
    Bert

13. Terrierman

Have found remedy and resolved this issue successfully.

Support @ Aconis did get back to me, but not really much use.

I also had Acronis True Image 10 installed and this seems to be the common factor in this problem.

I found that by uninstalling Acronis True Image completely and re-booting, Acronis Privacy Expert then installs with no problems.

Hope this will be of use.

Bert

14. marse.robert

Hi Terrierman.

Are you saying that if you have TI10 installed affects the installation of Privacy Expert 9? Further, are you also implying that the uninstallation of TI10 will facilitate the installation of PE9?

15. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Just to note, I have TI 9.xxxx and PE9.

It is the Malware shield that causes the hanging and this is related to, it and the video driver having problems, possibly a race condition on loading.

Colin

16. Terrierman

Hi Robert

That is what I'm saying. If you uninstall TI and then reboot, then PE installs no problem.

Sorry with delay in replying but have been away.

Terrierman

17. Uncle Ben

Not for me it didn't. I un-installed both PE and TI, used MS RegClean to make sure that nothing was left in the registry for either one of these applications, did a clean-reboot and tried to re-install PE - same problem, the installation. I have seen a lot of incompetence in my career, a lot of non-chalance, but never as bad as this. And you know what ... when I contacted Acronis Support, that's about two months ago now and started troubleshooting this issue with them, their first reply stated that this situation was very peculiar, unique, never came up before .... I don't think they pay much attention to their forums; or else they think that we're all a bunch of idiots! Well, we bought their software, so perhaps they have a point! Cheers you all. I give up on Acronis. If anyone wants to lanuch a class action suit, I'll be more than happy to join the bandwagon.

18. brech

brech Registered Member

I got the same "interrupted before the installation completed" message when trying to install an update from True Image 9.1 from build 3886 to 3887.

Bodgy's hint about the temp directory was crucial to fix this. Drive C: is a bit tight; it starts with over 400M free, but as soon as you start the installer this drops by 200M, because it creates 2 temp files @98M each, and then not enough space is left. I have plenty space on drive F:. Google turned up http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...docs/en-us/ntcmds_shelloverview.mspx?mfr=true

So in the MS-DOS prompt, I did
    Code:
    mkdir F:\tmp
    set tmp=F:\tmp
    set temp=F:\tmp
    Then ran the installer from that Cmd.exe. Now it succeeded without a hitch.

19. CAM69

CAM69 Registered Member

Tried everything listed on this post for PE and still nothing helps. This is just per junk, in that it will not load. I have had no other problems with Acronis programs, but this one is terrible.
    We should not have to try to find ways around our systems to get this software to load. Acronis should pull this software, as it does not load without major workarounds, if you can get those to work.
    Time for the money back promise they make. Calling tomorrow and demand money back for this crappy program.

UPDATE: Tried the custom install and deselected MALWARE and the program loaded okay. The problem is trying to load the MALWARE portion of the software. Guess there will be no spyware protection, till ACRONIS figures out what is causing MALWARE to keep from loading. This was one of the main reasons I purchased the program, just to find out it will not load. Tried everything else suggested, but this is the only thing that worked.
    Hope ACRONIS can find someone that can fix this and release an updated program. I will give them close to the 30 days for a fix or ask for a refund.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  20. sentry42

sentry42 Registered Member

I'm not sure if this helps but I had the same problem with PE and I also found that it appears to be related to the malware installation of PE.

Since I already had TI 10.0 and Disk Director Suite 10 installed, I uninstalled TI and rebooted but the problem persisted. I then also uninstalled DDS as well and rebooted and to my surprise, I was then able to install PE. Re-installation of both TI and DDS was OK afterwards and all appears to be well (so far...).

So, if you're going to install several Acronis products, it seems as if you'd better install PE first...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.