PE lags my PC

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Arctic, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arctic

Arctic Registered Member

I had to do a complete reinstall of my operating system by zeroing out everything and starting fresh. I have noticed when I use my port explorer it will lag. If I click on one of the columns to move it over or just scroll through it will hesitate. The only programs I have open are my zonealarm firewall and my antivirus. I have not even reinstalled my processguard and wormguard yet. I have never had this problem before. It seems as if I don't have enough ram to pull the programs but I know that cannot be the case because this did not happen before I reinstalled my OP system and also, I have 2GB of ram so it should pull everything. I checked my msconfig to see if anything is running in the background but it only shows my ZA and AV running. My PC is only 3 years old. My PC is:

Gateway 700 series X
    Pentium 4
    Windows XP home
    2GB ram

Could there possibly be a problem in the bios? If anyone has any suggestions please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

2. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I had that happen and needed to set up my monitor drivers to get rid of the hesitation when moving stuff around or across the srcreen.

3. Arctic

Arctic Registered Member

Could you please tell me how to set up my monitor drivers? I am updated my drivers and after I did that is when this happened. I will paste the url post here to the original problem I was having.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=79787

Thank you for your help. :)

4. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I see from that link that Josie fixed you up. Now your`re all set. :)

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there, is your Port Explorer problem gone now too?

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Latest drivers show no problems on my machine at home, same series of video driver. Shouldn't be any issues with the latest drivers, but OLD ones certainly could have issues like this. Hope it is solved ! :)

7. Arctic

Arctic Registered Member

Actually my problem is not solved. I put that URL post in so beetlejuice could see how all my problems with PE started. At first I got the (black square box) when I tried to adjust column width. So I increased my screen refresh and I thought that fixed it but it did not. So then I emailed Gavin and he was kind enough to send me a link to download and update my graphics driver. After I did that the (black square box) disappeared but now I am getting the lagging. When I scroll through PE it lags as if I don't have enough ram to pull it. But as I said that cannot be the problem because I have 2GB ram and the only other programs running are my AV and Firewall. Is there a way I am suppose to set up my monitor drivers? I am really at a loss as to what to do about it. Thanks for your help. :)

8. Arctic

Arctic Registered Member

I think my problem is solved. Well at least I hope it is. I was desperate so I went to a website called "Experts Exchange". A member named Dviation191 was kind enough to help me. He sent me a download to update my chipset. He said when I did the reinstallion of my OP system that it did not get all the INF files. I cannot believe the difference in my PC. It is faster now then it was the day I bought it. He also had me install a program called "Everest Home Edition". That program list everything on your PC and allows you to print out in plain text any info you need. If is fantastic. So I must applaude Experts Exchange. Thanks everyone. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.