PDF Printers...?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by loyukfai, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loyukfai

loyukfai Registered Member

Even excluding Adobe's own, there are so many PDF printers out there, free, open source, commercial...

Currently using novaPDF OEM (same maker of doPDF) which is bundled with PDF Annotator. But found it unable to render some non-English scripts. Tried PDFCreator (pdfforge.org) but it doesn't honour the custom paper size in Word.

Bullzip uses Ghostscript as backend so it's probably suffering from the same issue as PDFCreator.

Also evaluating PDF-XChange Viewer and the company got some PDF making tools (PDF-Tools) as well. Not sure if they worth the extra $$$ through.

What's your preferred PDF printer...?

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

CutePDF Printer

3. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Bullzip

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

I use Primo PDF.

it works ok on a majority of sites but trying to "print" a hotmail email results in some errors.

you folks have better chances with another proggie?

5. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Print2PDF Free

Allows: Stamp - Watermark - File attachments - Encryption - Add, Remove and extract pdf pages

6. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Using dopdf.

For me quality is important. Install the different printers and save the same page with each and you'll see the quality of the output varies widely.

7. moontan

i also noticed that the accuracy of the created PDF files varies also depending of the browser used.

i found Chrome and IE9 created the best results.

8. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I have used pdfFactory Pro and FinePrint for years.

I frequently print to PDF from web pages. For me, the best browser to to this is IE9.

Chrome 13.x has its own app to print to PDF, but it produces huge graphic PDFs of text pages. There is an "Advanced" option that produces small, searchable PDFs using the installed printer, but in some cases the page layout is not accurate. And in all cases, the fonts are too big.

9. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

I had the combination too on my own computer before it (the computer) died on me.

10. moontan

i used pretty much all the PDF printers on this page and non of them were able to render one of my Hotmail email properly.

it's like the email was in an iframe.
    i capture the vertical scroll bar (which i don't see in the Hotmail html page) but over half of the text is missing.

i think i am gonna go the way of screen capture AND copy and paste the text to a RTF file.

i just can't rely on PDF printer utilities if they don't render the page properly.

11. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I have no non-English characters to deal with so I have had nothing but great success with doPDF. It's my favorite free PDF creator now out. High quality output and (as noted) doesn't require Ghostscript (which is not particularly bad but it's just that much more to deal with/install.)

Primo is off the list due to OpenCandy apparently now being part of it... YUCK!!!

12. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

+1:thumb: Long time fav.It's free.
    small size in result, no ghostscript.

NovaPDF(paid) as alternative

13. moontan

tnx for the heads-up m8! :thumb:

i removed Primo and i'm trying out doPDF.
    --------------------------------------
    edit:
    i solved my problem by using the little Print button in Hotmail instead of IE9 Print.
    seems like Hotmail print function is more printer friendly than IE9 for PDF 'printing'.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  14. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Cute PDF also.

Sul.

15. ichito

ichito Registered Member

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I use Bullzip, but when I want something from the web browser I always use a screen capture utility to create a JPG first. Bullzip always does a good job with JPGs. It's not as convenient as printing directly from the browser, but it's reliable.

17. loyukfai

loyukfai Registered Member

Thanks for all the input, but nobody is using, or have tried, PDF-Tools...?

Nitro Reader is not bad, another free PDF reader with basic editing functions (can't insert/append/delete pages through). Wonder how much will it cost when out of beta.

As a side note, there was a $30 sale few weeks back then for the Pro version (sold out already) to raise funds for Red Cross Japan.

BTW, is there any <$50 PDF editor which has a relative lenient upgrade policy (e.g. at least one major upgrade)...? Currently using PDF Annotator but am looking for a switch.

Cheers.

18. Sully

Sully Registered Member

In Chromium I use Web2PDFConverter. Super easy to use, and has produced great results every time I use it. No screenshots etc, so pretty simple.

Sul.

19. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Of the free PDF printers, doPDF 7.x has worked best for me.

Of non-free ones, I particularly like Foxit PDF Creator. v2 was tiny (I think under 1 MB) but worked great. v3 is bigger; a little under 4 MB installer, but comes in both 32- and 64-bit flavors.

20. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I also use Bullzip and it has never failed me. I have no problem printing from within a browser.

21. moontan

i'm liking doPDF so far.

it did not need to download any other extra stuff when installing, unlike some others i've tried.

very small and easy to use with very good quality for a small file size. :thumb:

22. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Downloaded it and it seems to work nicely. When I installed it, I unchecked option to install ASK toolbar. I got the toolbar anyway, which i thought was offensive. I disabled it, but kept getting onscreen messages asking me if I wanted to re-enable it. How annoying is that?

I wasn't able to remove it in "manage add-ons" in IE8 - the option was greyed out. But I was able (I think!) to kill it in CP (add/remove programs).

I do hope that's the last I've seen of that junk.

23. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

If it's not gone try this LenC : http://www.t-tools.nl/antisepticen.php

24. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Dermot7 -

Thank you - I don't think I need it now, bit I'll file it for future reference:)

25. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.