PD 2008

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by mike21, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Hello I installed today the new Perfect Disk 2008. Previous versions of PD had excluded some FD-ISR files, the new one does not.

I searched a bit and I found a post where Peter2150 advises:

File to exclude is c:\$isr\0\$ISRBIN How to do it in Diskkeeper 10 I don't know.

Now my question is: is this the only file to exclude?

Thanks.

edit: btw new PD2008 rocks with new GUI, more options and a brand new StealthPatrol Autopilot option.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't believe the new PD automatically excludes anything. I didn't add any excludes and so far no ill effects.

Pete

3. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Hi Pete,

Have you tried the PD 2008 VmWare edition yet? I think you use VmWare, and this edition of PD does a great job of defragging your virtual drives.

I also have had no ill effects using PD with First Defense. No files are excluded under the Defragmentation Tab/Drive Properties.

Silver

4. Peter2150

No I haven't. I do have PD installed on my VM machines. I like them to be as closely configured to the real hardware as possible, so the extra cost didn't make much sense.

5. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

The VmWare edition does not have to be installed on the Guest. It works from the Host.

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Yeah I just got it. The PD2008 for VMWare Workstation is the Pro version with a virtual drive component. It can defrag a vm with 'smart placement,' reindex the internal structure and shrink the vm reclaiming unused space - uses the VMWare DiskMount utility. You can also choose defrag the host from that section.

7. WWS

WWS Registered Member

I know red x's will mean file is excluded. But what does a red diagonal mean?

edit: prior to updating (2 days ago) I had red x's for FDISR

Attached Files:

• pd.jpg
      pd.jpg
      File size:
      24.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  8. Peter2150

I suspect the diagonals just show there is a file somewhere in the tree structure that has an excluded file. I just checked, and I have none. Doesn't seem to matter any more.

Pete

9. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I must admit I don't use options like stealth pilot but I was not all that impressed with PD 2008 in general. Possibly this is because PD8 does all that is really required ? There is a limit to the benefits that any defragmentation program can deliver. On the other hand I can see how an FD-ISR user would benefit from autopilot. Personally I prefer to use Returnil or DeepFreeze and it would be unreasonable to expect PD 2008 to do a better job than PD8 when set up this way.

10. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Greetings mike21,

I just noticed this as well. Good catch. The latest PD has removed the $ISRBIN exclusion. If you wish to excluded it manually (\$ISR\0\$ISRBIN) is the only file needed.

Now with that said, it is typically just fine if you do not have it excluded. Let me explain. $ISRBIN is the pre-OS boot code that is executed at boot time in order to process the snapshot you wish to boot to. If a defrag application moves its location, we have a service that will periodically checks and updates the new location in the partition boot sector.

You may wonder what happens if a defrag application moves $ISRBIN and for some reason our service does not catch it in time before the next reboot. Our pre-OS boot sector logic simply boots the current snapshot and when the service runs next, it immediately updates the boot sector with the new location of $ISRBIN.

I hope this helps.

11. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Hi Todd, Great to have you being around here again !!

Huub.

12. hjbyram

hjbyram Registered Member

Todd -
    My version of FD-ISR is from Horizon DataSys, I'm running 3.20 Build 202, I chose not to do their upgrade which deleted the Freeze option.

I also recently upgraded to PD 2008 - so is this true for my version, too? I don't have to manually exclude?

THANKS - Heather

Edit: Never mind, in my version of PD 2008 \$ISR\0\$ISRBIN is excluded - just executed the Analysis tool & found it listed under excluded

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  13. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Thanks for explanation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.