PCTools Spyware doctor

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MalwareDie, Dec 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Anyone else notice that is has doubled its definition file size in a short time? I wonder what the sudden increase is due to

2. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I noticed this too. They are up to 149526 signatures after today update. But you know, malware is multiplying at an alarming rate too.

3. Consoleman

Consoleman Registered Member

Well, after all SD & SS are still kicking ass:D

4. MalwareDie

Ya thats good to hear that SD is keeping up. Is SS SpySweeper? Ive heard that is just as strong.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

spysweeper is strong but to bloated IMO.
    im gonna replace it with eiether just free on demand scanners like sas or buy trend micro antispy and use as on demand
    i have no need for shields.
    lodore

6. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Lodore save your money and just use SAS on demand. If you dont need shields is a waste to buy Trend Micro Antispy, there's no large benefit over SAS and you'll save cash.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

true.
    i just dont like the sas interface to much but i can just let it do a scan and not look at it:D
    lodore

8. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Today the signature count is up to 174754. So they have added 25,000 signatures in a day. I am not a programmer, but that sounds impressive.

It will be interesting to see what happens to scan times...

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: Yes, SD has made several significant improvements; aggressive sig update, faster scanning engine and better accuracy of detection(i.e. fewer and fewer F.P.). I was very critical of SD in these areas, now my views are considerably shifted. If they can improve CPU usage and prog load-up time, this baby could be a winner again.:)

10. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I have heard that program load time will be handled in the release of SD 5.0 which could be released in late Janaury 2007.

CPU usage? Not sure about that. But it certainly runs lighter on my system than Spysweeper. Would still like to see this reduced though. I prefer security apps top be lean and mean like NOD32.

11. MalwareDie

After todays update it has 174 754 sigs. that is impressive 25 000 more sigs in 1 day. I now has a 4mb database and to me thats quite large for an antispyware. I am really impressed. ive heard that antispyware are inferior to antiviruses and antitrojans and this seems like a nice step to closing the gap.

12. SPRINTMAN

SPRINTMAN Registered Member

V5.0 due soon, should be very good. I Had SS and it brought my PC to it's knees. SD is as good as it gets and fast. Had MS Antispyware, Spybot etc and they are useless.

13. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Hope they fixed those false positives.
    Will try 5.0 when it's released, so I can judge for myself. :)

Spy Sweeper is a very good application, however when I removed it, I noticed a significant boost. Guess we have to pay a certain price for having such protection and of course a new version will probably fix that problem.
    Good to know they made improvements, but like I said I want to try it first on my machine to see what it gives.
    They can tell all they want to sell their product, but everytime when I installed it, I removed it after a week or so. Not impressed at all.
    Maybe this will, maybe it won't, only the future will tell. :doubt:

14. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

SD used to have a free version that was limited in some way...

Does that exist anymore?

15. MalwareDie

Yes the free version is limited. You have to manually delete items that are detected and i think the paid version also has a cookie blocker I am not sure

16. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Does that mean they doubled the FP count?
    If they go to up to 1E19 new detections, wouldn't that be uber impressive?
    Mrk

17. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I don't know about you, but since AV's began making an effort to detect various forms of malware, i no longer deem it necessary to have 'Realtime Antispyware Protection' and paying for it IMO, is a waste of money. If you wish to support that program, then fine but it is not necessary and one would be better served putting those resources towards a Backup/Recovery solution or Virtualization Software.

18. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I prefer the prevention route, which usually means paying for active protection. But you can get solid protection without using a paid application or a real time AS.

But I still like having real time as another layer in my layered defense suite. Just a matter personal preference though.

19. MalwareDie

Aww they stopped adding sigs like crazy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.