pctools firewall and google installer?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by brainrb1, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

I am using Pctools firewall with avast free, malwarebytes and sandboxie. I have tried to block google installer from connecting to internet mutiple times but it shows up again green and connecting. I don't use anything google apart from search in opera.The google folder in the c/program files cannot be deleted it says access denied.Google earth was installed by kids for a few days (it has been removed long time ago).Why is it behaving like malware and connecting when i am not using anything google? and why is pctools not blocking it?( i thought thats what a firewall was supposed to do)o_O

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  2. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I think this is the google updater service. Remove this from startup. Also block as in the screenshot, set the rules for Google Installer to default block for outgoing and incomoing.

3. brainrb1

I did block it many times from the firewall but next restart it comes back again.I dont have it on startup.I dont use anything google so what does it updateo_O what is the updater service for? and please tell me what other windows services i dont need or can be blocked safely from the screenshot (was using vista firewall before).

4. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

5. brainrb1

No toolbars or anything google that i can find but thank you .It seems like you are the only one trying to help me out most of the members are busy boasting about their own security setup lol.can you please help me out with the windows programs connecting like which ones are must and which ones dont need connecting etc.

6. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

All necessary windows programs need to be connected to the internet. but you can turn off some windows services w/o any problems. Follow this tutorials.
    XP
    Vista
    Windows7

7. brainrb1

The third url. was helpful. It was nice to know that other people who ever downloaded google earth even once are doomed by this tracker.... thanks google ..never going to use your product again if i can help it:thumbd: :thumbd:Thank you very much sg09.. its members like you who keep wilders alive.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  8. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Glad to hear that your problem has solved. :)

9. brainrb1

My happiness was short lived :rolleyes: it came back again although i disabled the services through control panel:thumbd: an:'( d the firewall:thumbd: . Looks like no way to get rid of google. The world is theirs:argh:

10. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Did you stop the service, set it to disabled and click apply? And it still came back on?

11. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Did you try it through msconfig, that is how i did it. (And i installed UnChrome. :) )

12. brainrb1

I disabled it through services/msconfig. but it came back.lol

13. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Format the HD,reinstall OS and never install Google stuff :D

14. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Lets Kill them. Install Winpatrol. Search for any Google installer in Taska or startup or recent file. Select that, right click on it and choose delete on reboot.

15. brainrb1

I used malwarebytes fileassassin to get rid of google updater from program files and after restart i was finally able to delete the whole google folder and ccleaner did the rest.I haven't seen it on reboot so far:thumb: wow i think i might have got rid of it:argh:
    I dont know why google was trying to connect since i dont use anything related to google and why it was so hard to remove. Another point is if it was so harmless why was the firewall not able to block it for ever and after reboot it came back green again or is it just pctools. so far i am happy....
    any good free firewall out there guys please let me know thanks for your help:thumb:

16. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Hope your problem will be solved. As far as I know many firewall vendor allow automatically allow any executable with Digital signature of Google. You can use Windows 7 Firewall control if you are not using XP. That is the one who don't have any digital signature dependence.

17. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

18. brainrb1

19. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

You are welcome.

I'm afraid that at your (and not only yours) questions only the google developers/employs can answer.

Panagiotis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.