PCTFW+ not detecting connection attemps

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by overangry, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. overangry

overangry Registered Member

Hi all,
    I have noticed PCTFW(PCTOOLS FIREWALL) no longer detects some applications trying to access the Internet.
    I receive no warning, I have been using PCTFW for quite some time and I am familiar with its settings.
    I have un-installed PCTFW and reinstalled and this did not fix the issue.

If I delete all references to Malwarebytes then select the update option in Malwarebtytes I receive no warning from PCTFW. This behavior also appears in other programs that connect to the net.
    As I have stated this is not how PCTFW normally behaves.
    What could be the reason? I am waiting for a reply from PCTOOLS suport.
    I have uninstalled PCTFW for the moment.

PCTOOLS INTERNET SECURITY does not suffer the issues mentioned above.

2. nhamilton

nhamilton Registered Member

PCTFW uses a white list of apps .. it will not notify you they will just work, especially other security products. They should be in the application list if they are the you can block them, if they are not then there is a issue.

3. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Go into settings > general and let us know if the box for auto allow known applications is checked and the box under that.

4. overangry

Sorry for not responding earlier, thought I checked email reminder.

I'll explain again what the exact problem is...

Under applications if I remove for example the entry PREV3.0, I would at the next update(manual or auto) receive a warning from PCTFW that a connection attempt has been made.
    I would then allow or disallow this action after which the program should again be listed under applications(in PCTFW).
    I should be and have been able to do this over and over again.

What happens is that there is no listing for PREVX 3.0 under applications and the program will connect to the internet at will without warning.example only

I have FF and MBAM( real-time) installed and here is no reference to these programs under applications, what if I wanted to change my decision, I cannot.

I have downloaded the latest version of there software.

This must be a bug, or is it just me?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  5. whitedragon551

When it asks in the bottom of the window that pops up on the right is a check box asking if you want to always allow. Do you have that box checked?

6. 2good

2good Guest

it looks like you have every application allowed thats why,if you have them on rule based then you would get an alert.

7. whitedragon551

I just noticed this as well, your second box needs to be checked for the prompt.

8. overangry

Thanks for your reply, but that is not the reoson for my post.

Again: I deleted under applications in PCTFW all references to MBAM and Firefox as I have done on numerous occasions to monitor and check the behaviour of PCTFW. I do this occasionally to monitor if PCTFW is working, that is detecting a connection attempt.

Now regardless what I press it might be deny or allow, there will then be a refrence under applications that will indicate my decision.
    In the case of my uploaded image, they all happen to be set to allow.

But that reference to my decision is present under all circumstances in the applications tab of PCTFW...

Now my problem, I have no reference to MBAM or Firefox Even though they are running in real-time and connecting to the internet. Now this being the case there should be a reference to these programs under applications in PCTFW:eek:

What if for some reason I want to change my decisiono_O
    BLOCK
    ALLOW ALL
    ALLOW TRUSTED
    RULE BASED

If you have PCTFW installed delete the entry under applications for your browser:blink:
    Then start your browser and you should receive a pop-up allow or deny your choice...
    But there should still be a reference to your decision under applications
    o_O o_O

I have checked PCTFW in this way hundreds of times and have NEVER had this issue...

I hope I'm not being to difficult, and I am trying my best to convey my problem, thanks for your help:D

Attached Files:

9. whitedragon551

Basically your trying to figure out why its not showing a pop up and why its not in the application list?

Did you follow what I said?

10. overangry

I 'll try a different approach.
    If I delete for arguments sake IE entry under applications, all rules stored for that application(IE) will also be deleted.
    Then when I execute IE again(after deletion) I would have to create new rules allow, deny ect.
    I CAN'T because the program(IE) would no longer appear in the applications list of PCTFW:ouch:

EDIT: I sometimes deny a program lets say MBAM acces to the net just to see if PCTFW does it's job.
    Then I will delete MBAM from the applications list and execute it again creating a rule to allow once to see if that is what PCTFW really does.
    Then I Will delete the entry MBAM again and allow it full acces to the net.

Only now when I delete MBAM there is no longer a refrence to MBAM in the applictions list of PCTFW... Thus I am unable to edit any rules.

REGARDLESS OF WHAT I DO, ANY PROGRAM I DELETE OUT OF MBAM'S DATABASE WILL NOT SHOW UP IN THE APPLICATIONS LIST WHEN EXECUTED AGAIN.

11. whitedragon551

Right. After you delete the rules they arent there. When you run them again you should get a pop up and either allow or block. You dont have to go into the applications to edit it. You have to add it back to the list first.

12. overangry

Thanks whitedragon551 for your patience and advice.
    I have uploaded 2 short videos to youtube.
    The first is of PC Tools Internet Security showing the expected Firewall behaviour. This is how PCTFW normally would behave.

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvQ_Ik4vzH0 View this first

The second video shows my problem.

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S64BaGl1otc

I hope they are not to boring:D

13. 2good

2good Guest

you could make application rule for an application ,try that and see how it works.

14. whitedragon551

Hmm weird. I noticed in the second video after you re-added Prevx you didnt refresh the list. Other than that looks like a glitch to me. Maybe its a setting some. You may want to try to reset all settings to default and see what happens.

15. 2good

2good Guest

in the application tab there is a setting for uninstalled applications make sure you uncheck hide uninstalled applications that will show you prevx, delete it .

16. whitedragon551

Its not uninstalled. Its clearly installed and thats why he uses it and connects to the internet with it in the video.

17. 2good

2good Guest

appologies.

18. overangry

Thank you for support and help. I finalr received a reply from PC Tools Support and will quote the following from their reply.

"If you are using Windows XP 64 bit, Operating System, please be advised that PC Tools Internet Security is not specifically designed for 64-bit systems".

Not what it implies on their download web page:mad:

Thanks I will wait until it is compatible.

I wish companies would not release software marketed and sold as being 64 bit compatible when they clearly are not...

Attached Files:

19. whitedragon551

I use it on my x64 Win7 Pro and dont have that issue.

20. overangry

What I will try now is deleting PC Tools Folders and registry entries, then I'll reinstall it on another snapshot an see if it fixes this.

21. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

~Comment removed~ wer in that page do u see it saying XP 64bito_O cuz i sure dont...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2010
  22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's treat each other with respect here on these forums. Thanks.

23. overangry

I see your point, sorry, I miss read the reply. I did tell them I was using win 7 64 bit:oops: .

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  24. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

IT SAYS XP 32BIT, nowhere in the bracket does it say 64bit next to XP...

25. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

You mean freely given away?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.