PCSL Total Protection Testing (2009 May's report)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pcslinfo, Jun 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcslinfo

pcslinfo Registered Member

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Creating a readable report would be a nice start. I can't view the results in either Firefox or I.E.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  3. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Thks for the results, Jeff.

A suggestion: Since 12 products are almost neck-n-neck for the 5 star rating. Could you add details of what malware was missed by which product. So that one can evaluate better the difference between the products.

4. subset

subset Registered Member

There should be an explanation on the website what exactly is...
    - Detection Rate in Static Testing
    - Total Detection Rate
    - Final Score
    - Award

But not... Marking system=(A+B)/C*100-lg(D+1) :argh:

Cheers

5. progress

progress Guest

A2 and the false positives - a neverending story :rolleyes:

6. pcslinfo

You can check that in detection rate in the static testing

Hmmm, I will add manual in the package next time:)

Thank you for your suggestions. Good Luck:D

7. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Hey, Panda did fair very well here (well? freakin' first :D). Would you say that it's in the top by now and that their proactive features are really improving? P-CAV will probably be quite dangerous once Beta 2 is released. :D AV-Comparatives testing of Panda (ProtectStar reports) have been different when it comes to Panda... :)

8. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi,

It seems that i am the only one unable to load PCSL Website, using OpenDNS as DNS provider

Sans titre.jpg

I have no idea what's wrong :doubt:

Will try later but thanks for your work

Regards,

MaB

9. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

From those results it seems to illustrate difference in detection methods. For example, Avira and A2 seem to focus mainly on fingerprints or definitions while others like Bitdefender and Twister make heavy use of dynamic (non-signature detection as I understand it) detection. BTW what's up with Twister only having 1 FP!

10. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

LOL! Lately there is a reduction on Twister's FP. I myself have seen none for some months. They must be working on that. I 've also seen a reduction on the on-demand scores. My guess is, they have neglected signature adding, in order to put more manpower to the new version. As a result, the FDDS (the behavious blocker), has increased its share of detection (in the above test, the FDDS accounts for roughly 25+% of Twister's total detection!).

11. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Thanks Jeffrey! :thumb: Will check out the report asap.

12. pcslinfo

Sorry to hear that, DNS problem of your ISPo_O?

Waiting for your suggestions:)

13. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

Kaspersky was tested in automatic mode, isn't it?

14. pcslinfo

it is:)

15. vijayind

Hi Jeff,
    That's just a number.
    If you could display the exact malware missed. Then one can evaluate how good the protection of AV is. For ex: If ACME Anti Virus misses say conflicker.c sample then even though it has a 95% detection rate, its probably not all that good.

16. Einsturzende

in proactive mode you will have complete power of KIS HIPS and detection/protection will be ~100% :eek:, you should consider running it in proactive mode for ("missed") "on execution" test next time... ;)

17. pcslinfo

Actually proactive mode is for advanced users, auto mode is for most of the users. Normanl users actually can not just whether it is malicious or not, anyway, through the test, KIS's auto mode is good and strong enough:)

18. pcslinfo

You mean the exact missed samples' detailed information? But if one missed a lot, how can it be displayedo_O :rolleyes:

19. Einsturzende

fair enough, but should be noted there is "reserve power" in KIS and protection can be further enhanced by adjusting KIS settings :)

EDIT:
    BTW. this test is example in which way professional tests should go, if it is possible add for next testing small amount of "malware from the source", complete vector of infection to see particular antimalware solution in real environment, e.g. from malicious url to malware execution and disinfection...
    many thanks for testing

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  20. pcslinfo

That's why they offer proactive mode for the advanced users like you:)

21. vijayind

Well, I thought it wouldn't be too hard for you. Since you seem to number your malware files with unique names. And if the AV is set to scan and delete/quarantine you will only be left with undetected samples in your malware folder.

So just see the files left and list out corresponding names. I think you could even right a script for it ( using grep ).

At this point, I am just making assumptions. So if your load is high, if possible list the missed malware you think were important. So that a reader can differentiate between the performance of all AVs getting 95+%.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well actually F-Secure should bump up a slot with 2010 and the Bitdefender engine instead of Kas 6. Along with their own engines to compliment it, looks like good times ahead.

23. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Jeffrey, an idea to consider: It would be interesting to extend the analysis to pairs of anti-malware products, under the assumption that increasingly multiple security products are utilized for protection (e.g., a primary real-time anti-virus coupled with a secondary product for on-demand, manual scanning). Such an analysis would answer the question, “Which two products should I use in combination to maximize protection (and to minimize false positives)?” Obviously, not all products “play well” in combination with one another, so that practicality might limited the number the pairs examined.

Question: What is the process by which vendors are selected for inclusion in your analyses?

24. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Jeff, thanks for your work and I enjoyed reading your test results.

I do have a question, though:

Is there a reason that you did not test AVG? It would have been nice to see how AVG compared to the other AVs tested, me-thinks.

Thanks in advance.

25. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Registered Member

Hi Jeff,
    thanks for your report.
    A list of important false positive detected files would be interesting, too.
    Regards,
    Ford

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.