PCLOS vs Mandriva

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Jo Ann, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Embarking on my first 'look-see' at Linux I downloaded and created live CDs for both PCLOS-TR3 and Mandriva-One (KDE). After booting up each one and 'playing around some', I don't see much if any difference between them (and that's probably the way it should be).

Can anyone point out any meaningful differences between these two distros?

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i've never heard of PCLOS-TR3. but, unless PCLOS-TR3 it built from Mandriva the differences will be the package managers along with the packages themselves and the system configuration tools. i think Mandriva has its own control centre to help configure things. those two differences are pretty much what makes all distros different. there's also the packages (programs) that the distros include.

some distros use different 'desktops'. there's gnome, kde, fluxbox, open box, xfce and more. i suppose you can see the pictures in my sig to see how some desktops look (fluxbox is really a window manager, but that's not really important right now) all the pictures are from the same distro, all you do is log out and when you login again you pick a different desktop.

3. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

PCLOS = PCLinuxOS. TR3 = Test Release 3.

4. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

For one PCLOS doesn't use Mandriva repositories. I know PCLOS is further away from Mandriva than say MEPIS/Linux Mint are from Ubuntu.

I asked the question for you @PCLOS forum, if you keep an eye on it, the real differences between the two should be posted.

BTW, iceni60 sums things up nicely between the Linux's :cool:

5. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

PCLOS is was forked off of Mandrake 9.2 by Texstar who used to provide custom RPM's for Mandrake. PCLOS repos are special as they are maintained by Texstar and co. which almost guarantees no problems with the software stored there. The size of the repo is somewhat small however. An added plus is that the repo is accessed by Synaptic which makes installing a breeze.

This was the only RPM based distro I ever cared for.

6. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Thanks to all for those explanations, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.