PCLOS partition questions & more.

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by zapjb, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'm dual booting PCLOS-2007 & XP corp on a 160GB HDD. Posted on the PCLOS forum as well.

When I installed PCLOS it gave me partition options. I chose pretty much default settings. So I ended up with 4 partitions. 1 is XP & 3 are PCLOS. 1 is swap, ok I get that. The other 2 are listed as linux partitions viewing them from XP. Why are there 2?

And in PCLOS i only see 3 partitions. No swap.
    Of the 3: One is 11GB consisting of 2 files, username & lost + found. Used is 348.5MB & usage is 3%.
    The other is 8.4GB consisting of 18 files, 1 log & 1 txt. Used is 2.9GB & usage is 37%.
    3rd is XP.

I'm not explaining this well, sorry. I can't even spit out a question.

I just don't get those 2 linux partitions. Particularly the 11GB one. What the heck is lost + found? Can I consolidate the 11GB & 8.4GB partitions? Do I need the swap partition? I have 1GB of RAM. Etc.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

The simplest way of making partitions in Linux:
    swap + root + home

Just like separating user from system in terms of permissions, you also get to physically separate user files from the system files. This is a very sensible thing. This way, if you reinstall your OS, you do not lose user data.

Just like making C: and D: in Windows.

In PCLinuxOS, you do not see the swap partition normally because it is not usable. But you can see it's there:

fdisk -l

Once you list all your partitions, you will also know exactly what the first and the second partition are, although from your explanation, it seems that the first one is home and the second root.

BTW, you could have read one of my tutorials, you would see that I always make separation between root and home and that I manually partition.

lost + found should not worry you. I would keep the partitions separate.

Swap partitions are small and should not bother you. It's much like pagefile in Windows. Do you need one in Windows?

Mrk

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks.

And I got thesame from PCLOS forum.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Are you sure it wasn't me who answered on PCLinuxOS forums??
    Just joking, it wasn't me.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.