PCLinuxOS video card questions

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Eice, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Well, since it looks like I'm unable to register at the PCLinuxOS forums, I thought I'd ask here instead.
    1. I'd like to use the latest ATI Catalyst drivers from the AMD website instead of the fglrx drivers that come with PCLinuxOS. Unfortunately I'm stuck at the very first step of removing the default fglrx drivers from PCLinuxOS. Using Synaptic to zap all packages that mention "ati" and "fglrx" didn't work – anything else I could try?
    2. Is there a way to set the default screen brightness? I can set it manually on my laptop after booting into PCLinuxOS via the Fn keys, but I'd like some way of changing the default setting so I don't have to do this every time. My BIOS doesn't allow for controlling the screen brightness, so that option's out, unfortunately.
    Thanks in advance.

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Go to the 'control center -> hardware -> Set up the graphical server' and select the 'VESA' or the 'VGA' generic driver.
    Then run the 'Video instalation tool' to zap all the drivers that you do not need.
    After you will be able to install the latest ati drivers (but do not do it from a graphical enviroment)
    If you are using KDE install 'KDE backlight control applet'.
    If you are using Gnome install 'ACME the versatile keyboard daemon'.

Panagiotis

3. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

I was able to get on the board after several days.
    They might have a bug in the software.
    I'll post a message on their board telling them about your and my problem.

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Unfortunately I seem to have hosed my PCLinuxOS install - I mistakenly thought I'd purged the fglrx drivers and went ahead with the video driver install, and now I can't get beyond the bootloader at all (there's only a black screen and nothing else). I'll probably give the new Linux Mint a run, and retry PCLinuxOS next weekend.

Thanks for the answers, pandlouk, Shankle.

5. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi Eice

You should have a folder named Utilities on the your Desktop [if your using 2009.1 or fully updated 2007] where you can use the Install-Video-Cards to repair you card drivers.

Take Care
    TheQuest :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.