PCLinuxOS - feedback.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by adam993, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adam993

adam993 Registered Member

What do you think about PCLinuxOS (PCLOS) version 2010? I think the PCLOS is stable, fast and "user-friendly" good for newbies.

2. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

PCLinuxOS is certainly up there with the best of them. I like it very much.
    "user friendly" and "good for newbies" is subjective, however it does contain lots of tools and gui apps to make things more familiar for new users. And it really is stable. One of my top five for sure.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It is and always has been a great distro. Only criticism now is there is no x64. Otherwise, it's very nice...

4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

agree with Kerodo i dont see any down side in pclinux my self

5. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Yup... it uses apt-get and Synaptic so its familiar to those coming to RPM from Ubuntu Debian. There only 11 files to download from the repository - you need only one!

6. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

For the last two days I've been using PCLinuxOS Zen-mini...a 344 mb download. Even though it's 344 mbs in size it's packed with a bunch of applications. It has a fully functional Gnome environment. The idea is to download the stuff you really want...like VLC instead of Totem, or AbiWord instead of the OpenOffice suite just as an example. It runs the 2.6.32-11-bfs kernel but 2.6.33-5-bfs is in Synaptic. Very nice. BTW, the first update that I took contained Firefox 3.6.4. PCLinuxOS beat Ubuntu to the punch it appears. Impressive. Like I've said before...I like PCLinuxOS.

Later...

7. It's an awesome OS, which is unfortunhately tied down by a fanboy-filled community and a generally unprofessional attitude among the developers. IMO anyway.

8. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

It really is and its a rolling release, they got latest of all stuff unlike others. Such a pity till today no x64 version. I can understand the constraints of a single man team trying to fork both architectures but now x64 is common so its high time they come out with one.

GIMP 2.9 was released two days back and its was in PCLOS repos by yesterday. Thats speed for you.

9. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

10. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Those are the important issues for Cent OS, as per Ubuntu forums, FF has to be repacked for x64 and certain other issues are being weeded out. CentOS other programs are quite old sadly.

11. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Totally agree. Zen-mini is awesome. It's probably the fastest Gnome i've experienced. It's a nice base (although it does include a whole load of apps) to start from and add what you want. Highly recommended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.