PCLinuxOS 2017.07 KDE - Majestic and horrible

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Let's test another Mandriva sibling. Here's a review of PCLinuxOS 2017.07 Plasma edition, covering amazing live session, installation in a dual-boot configuration on a laptop with Nvidia card, and ultimately short and unsuccessful post-install test, including look & feel, fonts, ergonomics, network support - Wireless, Bluetooth, Samba sharing, printing, multimedia support - MP3 playback and HD video, partitioning, some unique and user friendly features like Microsoft fonts, super-easy remote share accessibility, proprietary graphics drivers out of the box, severe problems like Plasma shell crashes, and a botched system update functionality leading to a broken system. Have fun.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/pclinuxos-2017-07.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Interesting these two Mandriva based distros, bring a bit of exoticism compared to the usual top 10 (or so) at DistroWatch ranking. Thanks for the reviews.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'll always have a fond spot for PCLOS. When I 1st tried Linux everything was compiling. I sought out the Ubuntu forums for help. Back then 99.99999% of Ubuntu forum members were snooty uppity ********. The PCLOS forum members [even Tex multiple times] helped me at every turn from buying a external dial-up modem to making a bootable CD?/DVD of my customized PCLOS.

Put it this way back then PCLOS was the Mint of Linux both in distros & forums.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.