PCLinuxOS 2012.02 review - Hope?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Ladies and gentlelads, I present a review of the PCLinuxOS 2012.02 distribution with KDE desktop, including live session, installation and use, covering topics like Wireless, Bluetooth, Samba sharing, desktop effects & ATI card support, multimedia playback - Flash and MP3, applications & LibreOffice setup, package management & updates, system resources, stability, suspend & resume, problems like screen resolution, odd programs, laptop function keys, small glitches, and more.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/pclinuxos-2012-2.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It's really weird, Linux has mostly been known to handle older hardware/systems much better than new, and that seems to be reversing. As far as PCLOS and its ability to stay afloat, I just don't know. I haven't kept up with how Tex is lately, but he's the main guy and was down for the count for a while there (perhaps that explains the increase in issues with the distro?).

"One man shows" are always going to be at a disadvantage, but hey, they've made it this far. I too miss 2009, that was a hell of a distro and I hope they can get to that level of quality again.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Nice review... Strangely enough, this is the one release/distro where everything works and works well on my Asus laptop. I haven't found any others as trouble free unless it might be openSUSE 12.1. I love this one. I did have the odd graphics resolution issue also (it didn't stick after changing it manually), but fixed that after install by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf and inserting my "1366x768" first in the lists in the screen section I believe. That fixed it. Aside from that, no other issues for me. This is the one that I stick with for now... It also happened to be the first distro I ever tried back in 2006, and my favorite then too.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

very nice review

7.5 hmmmmm pretty ok not what i was expecting i greed for more ;)

its pretty good distro hope in future you try xfce one day i bet you give more points to it then kde ....................Xfce i guess it deserve more ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.