PCLinuxOS 2012.02 review - Hope?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Ladies and gentlelads, I present a review of the PCLinuxOS 2012.02 distribution with KDE desktop, including live session, installation and use, covering topics like Wireless, Bluetooth, Samba sharing, desktop effects & ATI card support, multimedia playback - Flash and MP3, applications & LibreOffice setup, package management & updates, system resources, stability, suspend & resume, problems like screen resolution, odd programs, laptop function keys, small glitches, and more.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/pclinuxos-2012-2.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It's really weird, Linux has mostly been known to handle older hardware/systems much better than new, and that seems to be reversing. As far as PCLOS and its ability to stay afloat, I just don't know. I haven't kept up with how Tex is lately, but he's the main guy and was down for the count for a while there (perhaps that explains the increase in issues with the distro?).

"One man shows" are always going to be at a disadvantage, but hey, they've made it this far. I too miss 2009, that was a hell of a distro and I hope they can get to that level of quality again.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Nice review... Strangely enough, this is the one release/distro where everything works and works well on my Asus laptop. I haven't found any others as trouble free unless it might be openSUSE 12.1. I love this one. I did have the odd graphics resolution issue also (it didn't stick after changing it manually), but fixed that after install by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf and inserting my "1366x768" first in the lists in the screen section I believe. That fixed it. Aside from that, no other issues for me. This is the one that I stick with for now... It also happened to be the first distro I ever tried back in 2006, and my favorite then too.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

very nice review

7.5 hmmmmm pretty ok not what i was expecting i greed for more ;)

its pretty good distro hope in future you try xfce one day i bet you give more points to it then kde ....................Xfce i guess it deserve more ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.