PC wont shutdown

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by surfer1000, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfer1000

surfer1000 Registered Member

Hi, I started my pc this morning to check a few things i was only on it for 10mins.

My pc will now not shutdown, it ends up restarting itself!

I get the shutting down text and my computer even makes its normal "shut off" click, but then it just starts right back up again, IE bios screen then windows loading.

I did noticed my Virus signature at first start up was 5440 and it updated to 5445

Anyone any ideas, please ?

Vista Ultimate 32 bit, latest ESS build

2. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello surfer1000,

Have you recently installed ESET Smart Security? What was done on the computer the last time it was used? I will need more details to assist you.

Thank you,
    Richard

3. surfer1000

Hi, no ive had ESS for the last 14 months running on my pc, and ive had the latest build on since the day it was released.

I just checked a few emails, there was no virus in my emails, they were all from legitimate senders.

I have just done a system restore but the problem is still there. Even doing a hardware shutdown, IE holding the pc power button until the computer shuts off with its normal "click", i release the power button, the pc goes off (all fans and lights stopped and off), but then after about 2 seconds it just restarts itself.

4. falke69

falke69 Registered Member

Hi,

I don't think that your problem is a software problem due to Eset Smart Security.

I think your computer has a hardware problem like an electronic failure.

Maybe your button to power on/off your computer hangs.

Or you have enabled "Wake on from LAN". Is it possible that another computer wants to access your computer and so your computer starts again ?

5. surfer1000

Hi, i too now think its a "button" problem, my pc wouldnt start at first 10 attempts, then finally it sprang into life this morning!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.