PC Tools Plus

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by JerryM, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I installed PC Tools Plus Firewall along with Avira Premium on my laptop. I am a little surprised at how well PC tools firewall runs. However, a couple of times I have gotten a pop up that ask me to determine if something is Public, Home, or Work.

I can't find what those categories mean in the way of firewall operation.
    I bet someone here can help.

I have SAS Pro and am wondering if it would be well to run it full time alongside Avira with PC Tools firewall. I have been using suites.

Regards,
    Jerry

2. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

You get to many things in real time it will 1. Slow your computer to a crawl. 2. Could cause conflicts or other weirdness also.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, and I think I am going to stick to the minimum.

Regards,
    Jerry

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Well this is my guess

Public = you access the internet from a public WIFI point
    Work = you access the internet from a corporate Local Area Network, most likely equipped with a decent firewall. Please consider that from a WORK (LAN) network more services are allowed to operate, because one needs access to shared disks. A home hardware router is l
    Home = you access the internet from behind a modem (or behind a hardware router, simple NAT firewall).

So when you take your laptop to a coffee shop with wifi, choose PUBLIC, when at home choose HOME.

Regards Kees

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

HI Kees,

Thanks, and that is essentially what I got a few minutes ago from the PC Tools forum.

Regards,
    Jerry

6. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Firewall Network Settings and Categories:

01) - PUBLIC = An Network where other computers in the same Network are not trusted.
    Computers in an PUBLIC Network are prevented from accessing other computers in the same Network by their IP Address.
    Access to the Network is through an Public Access Point or Public Router.
    File sharing is not permitted.

02) - HOME = An Network where other computers in the same Network are trusted.
    Computers in an HOME Network are permitted to access other computers in the same Network by their IP Address.
    Access to the Network is through an Residential Gateway. (Access Point or Router)
    File sharing is permitted.

03) - WORK = An Network where other computers in the same Network are trusted with restrictions.
    Computers in an WORK Network are permitted to access the Host Computer and may or may not have permissions to access other computers in the same Network by their IP Address.
    Access to the Network is through an Virtual Private Network.
    File sharing is permitted with the Host but may or may not be permitted with other computers in the same Virtual Private Network.

HKEY1952

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Many thanks, HKEY1952. That really makes it clear.

Regards,
    Jerry

8. teykila

teykila Registered Member

Hi,

I wonder if any of you using this firewall had the same problem. After a month using it, i decided to do some leak test.

I used GRC leak test. When launching the test, the firewall asked me if i wanted to block the incoming request. I said "block". Well... I didn't block!

Any thought on the matter?

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Regarding SAS Pro I would just try it and see how the system responds. You can always turn off real-time protection (RTP) by simply right-clicking on the SAS tray icon and unchecking it if it's causing a slow-down. If you run SAS with RTP turned off it will still auto-update and be ready for action in case you have a problem. I would not trust Avira or any AV exclusively.

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

SAS Pro runs well with Avira and PC Tools Firewall Plus. I don't often run it however. I have not noticed any slowdown, except when SAS first starts. It freezes everything for a minute or so.

Regards,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.