PC Tools Firewall PLus + Windows 7 RC1

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Victek, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I thought people might like to know that the free PC Tools Firewall installed and is working fine on Windows 7 RC1 x86 (32 bit). PC Tools does not state that it is Windows 7 compatible, but it installed without using "run as administrator" or compatibility mode options. Note that SPI and Stealth mode are OFF by default. There have been some improvements since version 4.x, such as password protection for configuration changes and shutdown :cool:

2. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

Any other options for windows 7?

PC tools firewall is good,but its icon's a little bit ugly. :blink:

I'm using Comodo now. But I kinda can't get used to it.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I've heard that some people have successfully installed the free version of Outpost Firewall on Windows 7. Other then that there are no other Windows 7 compatible firewalls that I'm aware of.

4. bonedriven

Thanks for the info. I decide to drop all 3rd party firewalls at the moment and use the windows 7 built in one till everything is ready. :ninja:

5. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

Have you tried the "Windows 7 Firewall Control" frontend? : http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html

6. bonedriven

I guess it is the same one with the "Vista Firewall Control"? I was disappointed with the Vista version. I heard that the title still displayed "Vista Firewall Control" after installing on 7?
    Anyway I'll definitely try it again later.

BTW,I heard that PCTool had got PCT firewall 6 beta which supports 7 now. But I can't find a place to download.

7. bonedriven

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  8. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

9. bonedriven

Oh,sorry. I forgot that attachment is only open to registered users. I might upload some later.

Edit:I'm not able to upload screenshots. :(

The GUI doesn't change much. It looks almost the same with the old version. :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I just installed the latest beta ( 6.0.0.58 ) on Windows 7 RC1. The only issue I'm having is nothing shows in the Settings/Networks window. Previously with version 5 there was a list which included my network adapter. Otherwise it appears to be working OK.

11. makios

makios Registered Member

Latest beta seems to run very allright here with Avira Premium and Winpatrol Plus on Vista x64 Home Premium.
    Much 'smoother' / feeling lighter on my system then Comodo or Outpost (free) does.

12. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

PCT ISS 2009 should also work with W7...

13. firzen771

PC Tools FW in my experience has always felt the lightest on my system and on my internet not matter how many diff FW's i tried, it always felt the best.

14. tipstir

Well yeah I've used for some years now but I need some more features and thus PCT IS 2009 has Threatfire Pro well the latest one works on Server as well Clients OS. Spam features is great if you want to block out foriegn countries, though for Spam control in Outlook 2007 I still feel the Opensource Spambayes works automatic pulls out the spam right in front of me.

15. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

I totally agree with you. But I wish it would pass this leak test by Gibson research found at http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm Maybe the test is outdated etc. etc. but I know quite a few people that do like PC Tools firewall, like you and I have changed their mind because of the Gibson leak test. Too bad they don't modify it to pass the test and am sure many more people would use it. Strange that OA, outpost, comodo, and even the venerable sygate 5.6 can pass this leak test and PC tools does not.

16. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

PCTools does not fail the Gibson leak test. What happens is that the firewall puts up a block page for blocked http applications which the leak test interprets as the GRC home page, thus it reports that the firewall has leaked.

17. wolfrun

Then why doesn't it say the same for OA free, Outpost free, Comodo, Private firewall, Netveda, Sygate etc.. All them say "Unable to Connect" when the test is run except for PC Tools. Most people are not techies just average users and when they see those results it makes them leery about using the product.

18. firzen771

what average user even knows about this test lol...

19. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

The other firewalls don't send a "blocked" page like PCTools does, thus the leak test isn't fooled into thinking it has reached the GRC web page. The problem is more with the "dumb" leak test than the firewall.

20. wolfrun

Well...I moved back to square one that is using CIS firewall set on proactive security ... along with avast. Seems to work the best for me. Tried PC Tools, OA and Private firewall. Of Those three I would pick OA as another choice as it works well with avast and firefox....crisp and fast. Thanks for the responses regarding PC Tools firewall.

21. tipstir

Yeah I have to agree with you there PC T Firewall Plus5x causes system hangs then I have to disable enhanced features just to use it. I decided to go back to CIS and use Comodo Firewall + Proactive Defense 3.10 with Avira PE without nag screens and that works very stable with Geswall 2.9 Pro, RegProt and Rising PC Doctor 6.0.0.45.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.