PC Tools Firewall error message and...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mercurie, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

...slow to log off when switching users (not fast user switching) and hanging up. Even when doing a restart it is slow to come up.

"PC Tools Firewall initialization failed with error (ox80004005) and will terminate"

Will not keep if a solution is not found. :p :mad:

Anybody know about this.

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have only seen this error (up to now) on XP x64 (the OS is not supported).
    What OS are you using? I have not found any info with problems on user switching(yet)

3. mercurie

Thanks for the reply Stem.

Nope, I operate a XP 32-bit It is the Family PC. The event viewer says:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Userenv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1517
    Date: 2/26/2007
    Time: 7:57:31 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: SID
    Description:
    Windows saved user SID\xxxxx registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

This message is occurs during the times in which it crashes. However I also currently have PC Tools not set to start at start up and it is not running and I still got one of these this A. M.

I am behind a NAT Router so I am safe from inbounds. This looks fixable to me but I am not sure how.

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I will set up for switching user, to try and reproduce.

update,
    I am not seeing any errors when switching users (normal log off/on), and nothing showing in system event logs.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  5. gnervt

gnervt Registered Member

6. mercurie

gnervt,
    Thanks for the link to the tool. I read the readme and then downloaded and installed this niffty tool. Unfortunantly I had already uninstalled PC Tools Firewall.

I decided due to the number of users on the Family Machine that it would be wise to have it installed anyway.

The log off process is faster then even before I had PC Tools Firewall issue. So it is useful even with the Firewall gone. I also had similar issues with OutPost Pro on this machine, and not on "My PC" because I only use it. It is possible that both these firewalls were having issues that this tool would have solved. I may go back to OutPost and see if there is a difference.

don't you think this Tool is something all machines should have?

7. FirePost

FirePost Registered Member

Hello mercurie,
    I was led to that tool ages ago for a problem shut downs caused by an intrusive AV program. It caused my shut down times to to soar to over 45 seconds from 6 before I installed that tool.

"Many system and service processes do work on behalf of users" and if the user logs off (includes shut downs) before the service or process can release there can be a hang up. The read me file states:
    I believe that means any compatible OS should have this installed. I still see an entry from this ocassionally, although it does not mention any of my security wares, just one of the svchost processes.

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have seen this hive cleanup tool cause an increase in closedown time on a number of setups. It can be a good tool for a multi user OS (with slow shutdowns), but would not say it should be installed on all compatible systems.

@mercurie

It would be interesting if indeed it was the hive that was causing the PC tools firewall error. If you do re-install PCTF, and the problem is resolved due to this, please let me know.

TIA
    Stem

9. mercurie

Hello,
    I am not willing to give up on this light and useful Firewall yet. I still think I can use it on
    "my pc", which is mostly used by one person. Me. I do log it off but there is little other user activity.

As you can see by my sig. the more resource challenged pc is mine, which is where a firewall such as this is more suited anyway.

I will let you know how things work out on my Compaq. ;) Thanks for the help. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.