PC TOOLS bumped they head!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by 337, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 337

337 Registered Member

TIPS FOR A BETTER PERSONAL COMPUTING EXPERIENCE
    Some computer viruses can be deliberately harmful and some can just be inconvenient and annoying. The term virus is often extended to refer to worms, Trojan horses and other forms of malware that are designed to elude many common anti-virus programs. It is always best to have more than one anti-virus program running on your system to make sure it has the most protection. To find out more about the need for an anti-virus protection please visit PC Tools AntiVirus.

This was in an E-Mail from them to me!!!
    Two AV's at once? OOOOOOH KAY!!!!!:blink:
    What do you folks think of that??

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Not much. :D

3. 337

337 Registered Member

Not much? I thought that due to potential conflicts with running 2 AV's at once would get a rise out of you guy's--especially given an AV company says to run more than one on your PC.....
    I for one will never run 2 active AV's on my PC. Maybe one for on demand scanning only, such as house call, but not 2 active engines..:cautious:

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Right. That is what I meant. :D

5. 337

337 Registered Member

OOPS!!! Misunderstood you. Sorry!!
    :oops: :oops: :D

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Interesting message from pc tools. I may actually do an experiment and see if what they say works or not. I'll post my results later on.

7. farmerlee

Well i installed pc tools antivirus alongside nod32 and outpost but couldn't get the realtime scanner to activate, possibly its disabled in the trial version. At the moment i have nod32 2.7 + f-prot 3.16 + antivir pe premium all running alongside each other with default settings. No issues so far, i've done a few scans and other stuff and they seem to be getting along nicely.
    I guess it is possible to run more than 1 av at a time.

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I don't know what PC Tools is smoking but it seems PC Tools 3.0 uses a crappy VirusBuster engine which will not detect anything the other standard AVs wont.

9. farmerlee

Yeah i wasn't too impressed with the pc tools av. It states a fully functional 30 day trial but it wouldn't let me enable the realtime protection. Plus it was very resource heavy, using around 50mb of ram on my system. Thats fine if its effective but it doesn't sound too great from what i have read.

I'm still running my 3 av programs alongside each other. So far its run beautifully all afternoon with no problems whatsoever. This combo certainly seems to prove that you can run multiple av scanners at the same time if a person really wanted to.

10. 337

337 Registered Member

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

12. 337

337 Registered Member

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Actually in reality it's not even virtually like that. The AV that works on the lowest level will always jump first. The one on higher level simply doesn't detect anything since first one already denied access to file. Problem solved. If the one on lowest level simply doesn't detect the file (lack of signature for example), next AV behind it will detect it. Conflicts are generally extremelly rare though not impossible. Biggest problem is performance drag that just sums up with each new scanner. Logical i guess.

14. 337

337 Registered Member

? ok, so do the av's know what level to run? Seems like they would all want the top spot?? :doubt:

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

We were fighting against two AVs, and now I am first time reading about three AVs at a time.
    Hi! I want to install Virus Total on my PC!:D

Edit- Hi, 337. I hope u will not mind. It is just a little joke. All I want to say is that it,s not a good idea to have more than two real time AVs at a time. Personally I still can,t accpet even one real time and one on-demand AV but some might agree for that. I will suggest one AV and u can use an online scanner sometimes just for a second opinion.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2006
  16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

rofl lmao:D

17. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Very simple answer to that question, use only one AV, yes some can get it to work..............at least at first, but there will be problems for most trying this later when it has been installed a while, but why actually try it, the extra few detections you might see (& i emphasize might) theoretically, makes it not worth bothering with (use a twin engine AV instead if you mentally need this), the enormous overlap of detections by both AV's will simply make running 2 side by side redundant in something like 99% procent of pc's in realworld scenario.

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i agree with this and i will tell you why.

if you read av comparatives it will show you that gdata which uses kaspersky and bitdefender engines only gets slightly more detection rate than kaspersky on its own and its slow down the pc alot more so is not worth it.

lodore

19. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

If someone was using an antivirus with low detection rates and boosted their protection by adding an av with better detections, this leads to a question of why run the crappy av in the first place?Just replace it.

20. 337

337 Registered Member

You made a very good point!!! I give it :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.