PC Tools 2013 versions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

As of right now PC Tools have launched their Windows 8 compatible 2013 product line (SD+AV, PCT IS). Am yet to try it out but from it seems to mainly contain fixes for Windows 8 compatibility and new network drivers.

I will update this thread later; note that as of right now the Free Antivirus has not yet been updated to version 9.1 (2013).

2. Firecat

Installed the new version. This isn't the 2013 version per se: it seems PC Tools is moving away from yearly releases and is instead focusing on version numbers. Thus it's version 9.1, whereas the previous version was 9.0.

The program interface and functionality is exactly the same: nothing has changed in this regard. Notable changes are new network drivers for the firewall, an update to ThreatFire (version 4.12.9 now), Windows 8 compatibility and compatibility updates for the Browser Defender toolbar (now renamed Browser Guard, developed by "Threat Expert Ltd.").

Still no word on an update for PC Tools AV Free. It's also odd that this product cannot be found on the main page anymore (but it's not listed as discontinued either). As far as I can see it still seems to update just once a day; I'm not very sure how sustainable this is for the product as a whole.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  3. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

PCtools does just feel like Symantec's leftovers now. Its a very strange state. I wonder how long before Symantec will offer norton keys for PCtools users and encourage them to that flagship product. Seems simpler to keep all your eggs in one basket.

4. Firecat

I guess Symantec keeps them around to get money from the crowd that wouldn't pay for Norton products due to price constraints or just plain not liking it. It also gives them a good excuse to keep the MSRP/RRP of Norton products high compared to the competition ("want cheaper? Go PC Tools!").

For what it's worth PC Tools Internet Security does seem to do a decent job of protection and remains affordable; but development is so sluggish that I wonder just how many resources this company has left. I keep hoping they'll do something good however.....

5. Firecat

PC Tools forum is saying that PC Tools Antivirus Free has also been updated to version 9.1. To avail of the update download the installer and install the application again.

6. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

PC Tools AntiVirus Free 9.1.0.2900

Web Installer 3.9 MB:
    -http://www.pctools.com/mirror/avinstall.exe-

Offline installer 43.0 MB:
    -http://download.pctools.com/mirror/updates/9.1.0.2900-SDavfree-lite_en.exe-

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I am installing the latest Spyware Doctor as I type this. I selected the advanced install, and am glad I did, as the standard install installs Google Chrome, which I most definitely do not want on my computer. (I've got nothing against Chrome, but it's not my browser of choice, and when I want to install browser, I want to install it myself.)

One thing I really like was the choice to download a small or large definitions database, with the large one being the default. I remember when you only got the large definitions if you were using a paid version of Spyware Doctor.

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

funny thing is nortons is normally one of the cheapest solutions at least here in the usa they can be had free after rebate almost all the time from somewhere and if you dont like rebates i see it all the time for like 20$ for the suite for 3pc's usually at like 19.99

9. Firecat

Well, usually people don't see the need to stock PC Tools along side Norton but in a lot of stores you will find Registry Mechanic free with a Norton product. In the few stores that have both, generally PC Tools sells for less.

Right now PC Tools SD+AV is $7.95 on DownloadCrew's software store and the Internet Security suite is $9.95. Not bad at all for a standard 3 PC license!

Which is quite odd, as Browser Defender doesn't support Chrome to my knowledge (though PC Tools Site Guard does).

The comprehensive/compact database is the same as the "full definitions"/"smart definitions" in Norton Antivirus. They started offering the option in version 2011, I think. AFAIK PC Tools' own database remains roughly the same irrespective of which option is selected, it's the Symantec definitions set that seem to change.

Do let us know about your experience with SD. Personally I'm quite happy with PC Tools Internet Security - decent firewall and good antimalware - the only caveat being that the update frequency is a bit less (mostly only once a day on the comprehensive database).

10. roger_m

Thanks for the info.

The install failed. I'm trying to install it again using the full installer from C:\ProgramData\PC Tools\DownloadManager\SecurityPackage

11. Firecat

What was the error message?

12. roger_m

The install from the full installer worked. I have done a scan and I'm happy with the results - it a found a few minor items including traces of the ZeroAccess Rootkit, which it classified as being low risk - which is good, as they are only traces - the actual Rootkit has been removed.

13. roger_m

Sorry I forget the actual error but I think it was do with not being able to write a registry key. The full installer worked, so all is good. I remember in the past having an install issue with a PC Tools product which was not fixed by using the full installer.

14. Firecat

Just FYI, always ensure that SD has internet access when performing a scan, as the cloud query will ensure minimum false positives. :)

SD does detect a lot of registry keys and trace entries - but I do think the product is a bit overzealous at detecting tracking cookies! :)

How do you find the software in terms of system load, performance, etc.? It's, however, a bit sad that the trial won't remove any threats it detects.

15. roger_m

I'll run it for a while and then let you know. In the past I've always found SD to be too resource hungry for my liking, but it is some time since since I've last used it, so hopefully it will run better than old versions.

16. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Could you try out the free version of PC Tools too? To see how heavy it is and if it's so stripped down it's useless?

17. Firecat

It's not particularly heavy, but it isn't really great. The free version has just an on-access scanner (not download scanner), no malicious website protection and basic rootkit scanning. ThreatFire is not included in the free version either, so it's of little practical value.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.