PC Setup For Online Brokerage

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Bob27, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob27

Bob27 Registered Member

Is there a app out there that will limit my browsing access and stop me from accidentally downloading stuff?

I'm trying to setup a PC dedicated ONLY for conducting business of this type, and nothing else, and I'm afraid I might forget what PC I'm on and compromise my security.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  2. an2tex

an2tex Registered Member

May be you can use "sandboxie" on the different computer? That's just an idea. Then may be you can limit downloads (I am not sure if it has this feature) . But when you use sandboxed - forced browser, you see a colored border around your browser so you will see. And anytime you can clean the "virtual environment" in seconds if you doubt you have something insecure. It is a convenient software. You can force almost anything to start in "sandboxie". You don't need to remember to start forced.

Comodo Virtual Kiosk is free too - go and test. You can use the browsers in Virtual Kiosk - and clean again. There is a border around the browsers again.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  3. an2tex

an2tex Registered Member

My latest finding: Use Linux Live CD and boot your computer from that CD. This way you will always have fresh linux and nothing can be downloaded - intentionally or without intention.

Do not load OS to the other computer. So you can not boot in any other way. Hope it helps.

4. Bob27

Bob27 Registered Member

Thanx for your excellent suggestions.

Perhaps I may be over thinking this a bit, though. Maybe some simple content blocking would be enough. (blocking all search engines and my fav sites) Again, this is going to be used for my online brokerage transactions and nothing else.

Security wise: hardened FF browser based on WSEC recommendations, Anti-virus, and online armor firewall.

Whadayathink?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  5. guest

guest Guest

Just my suggestion, use Online Armor's banking mode and create a whitelist of important websites in the domains tab. It will block all access except to the sites in your whitelist. Then make a rule of the file/folder shield. Put your download folder into the protection with the programs access as the followings:

Enable the create, delete and modify protection. Read protection shouldn't be necessary and might cause problems.

Unknown programs : Block
    Allowed programs : Block or Ask (depends on your preference)
    Untrusted programs : Block

Additionally (and optionally), you can create a Windows' ACL rule for "everyone" to deny traverse/execute permission and deny all create and write permissions of your download folder.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.