PC restore ?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Decapad, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Decapad

Decapad Registered Member

Hello - windows just went corrupt on me so I backed up my stuff & reinstalled to factory default. Took about a day to get the pc back where it was - getting rid of many of the default programs, about 8 hours of windows updates & reinstalling programs I use. Now is there any way I can use this point rather than the factory default point to restore - should (I should say when) this happen again? Thank you! :)

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

the best thing is to make a system image in case something like that happens again.

if you use Windows 7 there is a built in imaging function in the Back up and Restore section.

if not there is many freewares available:
    -http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm-

3. Decapad

Decapad Registered Member

Brilliant - thank you Moontan! Happy Holidays! D :D

4. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

5. 2010freesoho

2010freesoho Registered Member

6. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Shadow Protect Desktop.
    Expensive but worth it.

7. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

I am using Keriver and Shadow Protect alternately for some weeks now (on win7x64). If I had to make a choice to keep only one backup software I would go with Keriver for it simplicity and speed, as they're both as trusty for me. ShadowProtect insane pricing and activation scheme are other minus factor for them. Keriver support is also very good and real fast, development very active, probably better then big StorageCraft (more corporate oriented, imo). Keriver future should/have to be bright, from the little gems they have on hand and their willing to develop them. In fact, if I ever had to make a final choice it would probably be more between Keriver products and... Terabytes' Image for W/D/L backup tools.

edited:
    It could sound over enthousiastic statement, but I am really thinking so!
    But it's just me, IMHO, :isay:, YMMV, et al, ect.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  8. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

You are right about the price and activation scheme with SP. They also doubled the price of yearly maintenance upgrade I think it's called.

Is Keriver as fast as SP?

9. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

Yes, Keriver is marginaly faster here. Last time I compared them SP took about 12 min. to backup a 31GB partition vs 10 min for Keriver 1-CR on the exact same job.

And restoring this partition was also amazingly fast with Keriver (less than 5 min), but I did not bother to compare with SP. Btw, I just burned on a CD the most recent ISO of ShadowProtect v4.05 and will give this another round shortly.

I should say that it was with SP v3.5. And, in a certain way, I can't be too hard on StorageCraft because it is a free full license I grabbed last year from a german computer mag! :D

10. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Shadow protect Desktop worth it's money, but only for enterprises or for critical mission computers e.g. database servers. Home users will never need half of its tools.
    For me the best imaging programs for fome users are Image for Windows, Drive snapshot, Keriver, Paragon and Macrium. The final choice depends on the needs of the user, how much control he needs over the backups/restorations.

@Rilla927
    Give 1-Click Restore (Free or Pro) a try. It is fast (not as fast as IFW, DS or SPD) but is fast enough.
    It is probably the only imaging app that makes backups and restorations funny(enjoyable) and easy jobs.

my two cents,
    Panagiotis

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  11. Halffull

Halffull Registered Member

Yeah make sure you take image backups, makes life a lot easier.

I havenn't used the windows backup software, I've had acronis home edition since before I had windows 7, and it's never let me down. Grab yourself an external hardd rie like the western digital hard drive and you're good to go.

When I had XP, I never really took backup to seriously and if I had a major crash I'd reinstall windows clean, and all the software which took a week minimum to reinstall everything and have all my software back.

Now it takes 2 hours max.

12. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Right, and especially their activation scam, er scheme :rolleyes: , that decriments available activations for no apparent reason until they quickly run out is what annoys me, even though it does the job of imaging/restore very well. I just use the RE disk nowadays.

13. tyee

tyee Registered Member

I am ready to purchase 1-Click Restore Pro but did I read on another thread something about having to be on the internet for activation? Is this for everytime you use the program?

14. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Only once until you activate it.

Panagiotis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.