PC restarting with Norton Antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by taldy, May 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taldy

taldy Registered Member

Hope someone out there can help!!!! Everytime I start a system scan my PC restarts itself about quarter way through - it was happening every few scans and now its every scan, and I haven't been able to run a full system scan since 24th April. I've run sasser fix tool with no virus found, all virus definitions up to data and I have Norton Firewall as well. Done the usual adaware scan too with nothing looking that bad.

Any help really gratefully received.

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi Taldy, :)

What OS are you using?

I checked the Symantec Knowledge Base, using - PC reboots on System Scan as the query, just paste in the bold text above. - Knowledge Base to see the whole list

If your using Win2000 pro see this LINK specific to NAV 2001 - which I guess would still apply, if the subscription was for database updates only.

I'm also using NAV - BTW - and have had a few minor problems - have you sent an email to there tech support, or try uninstalling and re-installing?

HTH

dog - *puppy*

3. taldy

taldy Registered Member

Hi thanx for the advice - I'm using Windows XP SP1. I've been searching their knowledgebase but didn't use the correct search criteria, and all I could find on there was a fee paying Monday - Friday support option, but I'll look thru the knowledgebase link you've provided.

I've got Systemworks installed so is it possible just to uninstall the antivirus software? I'm not too keen to uninstall the lot, but if its just the software and not some dodgy virus/spyware then I'm up for it.

Thanks again for your help.

4. dog

dog Guest

Hi Tady, :)

I also use System Works Pro.

Yes. When you go to add and remove programs for Sys. Works, it gives you the option as to what componant you would like to uninstall - same goes for re-install. Just select the AV componant.

The problems I had ... was that somehow - some of the Nortan files became corrupted ... un & re-installing ... fix the problem.

HTH

dog - *puppy*

5. taldy

taldy Registered Member

I think that might be the only option, I've just trawled thru some of the knowledgebase articles and came across an update - Symantec Symevent Installer - so I've updated that and I'll re run a system scan.

If that doesn't work then a reinstall it'll have to be - being a computer novice and currently bogged down with exams, I'm feeling a little cheesed off with this pretty new PC at the moment!!

But thanks again for your help!!

6. dog

dog Guest

We are all novices' in a way ... no matter the experience level ... there's always learning to do ... it never ends ... But that IS the fun part. ;)

I'm usually looking for help too - Wilders has a ton of Experts - and is probably the best Tech Support around ... I've been saved more than a few times! :D LOL

Good luck with your Exams!!! :)

... Poor little computer taking all the blame :D ... :'( make sure you 'n that PC kiss 'n make up! LOL :D

dog - *puppy*

7. taldy

taldy Registered Member

:blink: LOL well I'm sure this will make you laugh - guess what I'm studying? HNC in Computing!!! LOL and it ain't helping one bit!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers for the help - I'll lighten up right now!!

8. dog

dog Guest

9. dog

dog Guest

Then, now for a laugh ... how would this have been for a first response ...

"We can fix this, but you're gonna need a butter knife, a roll of duct tape, and a car battery." (originally written by BigC)

LOL :D

dog - *puppy*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.