PC restarting by itself

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Noob, Nov 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

My suggestion is never upgrade dependent components.
    GPU - pcie-e, fine. Disks - fine. CPU/mobo/memory? Tricky.
    But that's something for future considerations.

Or buy spares :)

Mrk

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

The problem if it is the motherboard is the fact the vast majority of Windows licenses are OEM and therefore are NOT legally transferable a new computer or an "upgraded" motherboard! :( Only the "boxed" full Retail license can be transferred to a new computer and an upgraded motherboard, for licensing purposes, is considered a new computer. OEM licenses can only be transferred to an identical motherboard from the same maker, or the suggested replacement board if the exact model is no longer in production.

So, it is illegal to use an OEM/System Builders license that came with or was purchased for one computer (or motherboard) on another computer. A disk “branded” with a computer maker’s brand name, or is labeled with “OEM", "OEM/System Builder”, “Upgrade”, “Academic Edition”, or "For Distribution with a new PC only", is not transferable to a "new" PC (or "upgraded" motherboard) under any circumstances. These OEM licenses are inextricably tied to the "original equipment".

Most importantly, this information is in the EULA and as users, we agreed to the terms of the EULA (end-user licensing agreement) when we decided to continue to use the software on the original computer. And that makes it legally binding.

So hopefully, it is just the PSU.

Note it has always been this way since the first version of Windows, though it is often misunderstood, or ignored.

I tend to agree with this - especially if the motherboard is more than a couple years old.

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Guess what guys, took m PC to a repair shop since i wanted to avoid buying something that was not the cause of the problem . . . 2 days later when i go to get my PC they tell me that the HDD burnt by itself.
    ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ screwed up my Velociraptor HDD and guess what, it was the PSU that needed to be changed but for some reason they took out my HDD to "test" it and burnt it.
    Really ~ Snipped as per TOS ~. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2013
  4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Are they going to make it right?

5. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Do you have the hard drive and a docking station to verify the drive is actually bad?

6. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

HD "burned"?

7. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

I'm thinking maybe you shouldn't trust the repair shop on that. Try booting live Linux with the drive plugged in, and use smartctl to look at your drive's SMART status and error logs, and maybe run a self test. I've heard others say otherwise, but in my experience SMART usually indicates pretty well if a drive is failing.

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yep they said that the HDD motor screwed up by itself after they plugged it in.
    I have the HDD with me and i can confirm that it does not spins at all.
    Really mad at them . . . not the shop but the guy that "diagnosed" my PC.

I mean, i-ve connected and disconnected that HDD over a dozen times and it never showed any kind of problems, i just leave it 2 days in the shop and they screw it up suddenly . . . what a coincidence, i initially didnt want to leave the PC there but i had no choice since they were closing and i wanted it fixed as fast as possible. I should have never left my PC there.

When they told me that they fried the motor i almost punched that guy in the face. :mad: :mad:
    Now i lost some of my valuable and unrecoverable information . . . sigh.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Well I know you prefer to re-install Windows than having backup images, but in the future you could at least backup your data regularly. With Windows 8 there is a program called "File History" which is terrific I think. All you need is to connect a USB hard drive or a flash drive for that matter, and it will backup automatically all your data in the background, you can set it to check for new stuff daily, hourly, even every ten minutes... No more worries about data loss.

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yeah i could use something like that.
    I do backup my information but not everyday. More like every 2 weeks or so. (Sometimes even longer)

Luckily i did a full "manual" backup of most of my files when my PC started having this PSU problem. So i didnt lose that much information, except for some media files from my parents phone which was important for them. o_O

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

sending you a pm now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.