PC Mag Review of ESS

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by bmex63, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmex63

bmex63 Registered Member

Hello all,

This is my first time posting in these forums. I find these forums very helpful. Thanks to all who share info. Today I found that PC Mag reviewed the new Eset Smart Security. I figured some would be interested in reading the review.

PC Mag Review

Don't forget that this is the same mag that gave NIS 2008 it's editors choice award....

What are your thoughts on the article?

~bmex63

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

looks fairly accurate to me and Norton is also a very good product. Geez, they really did bash it.

3. rahx

rahx Registered Member

Well, I still think independent tests are more credible.

Tests like PCMag may very likely use samples in favor of other products.

4. bmex63

bmex63 Registered Member

Yea they sure did bash it. I was really disappointed after reading this article. I still believe in the power of Eset and it's minimal resources...but :doubt: . I wonder if they'll review the standalone product?

5. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

I am sure what the Eset is going to improve enough have internal informations what they say that everything is going to return to a normal one of which it is the Eset they have to understand also that in 15 years it simply was an alone antivirus and this is only the beginning of a revolution, which I ask for you is that they find the maximum of mistakes what to discover and they turn back to the Eset.

Sorry my this English is my sincere opinion

6. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

Had a quick read. 1st of many "poor" reviews I'm afraid. I wonder whether the author has posted here? majority of the comments appear straight out of this forum?

7. s4u

s4u Registered Member

They really bashed it. O well it is only a one man's opinion

8. SteveBlanchard

True, but one man can ruin a companies product. Mind you there are a few hickups he didn't mention about ESS likebeing able to kill ekm.exe in task/process manager.

9. sjgore

sjgore Registered Member

I thought that was a well-written balanced review, to be honest. The reviewer was clearly more than happy to give ESS a chance, and didn't seem to have it in for the product from the start, unlike some reviewers and their articles. There were plenty of positive comments about ESS, but also plenty of not-so-positive comments (I wouldn't necessarily say negative, more "constructive criticism").

I still have no regrets about buying my 3-PC license last week, although I'm perhaps glad that I only went for the 1-year license and not the 2-year. I look forward to seeing ESS go from strength to strength over the coming year.

Steve.

10. crummock

crummock Registered Member

Like you I have no regrets over buying the licence as I'm sure ESET will rectify any deficiencies.

The real problem with ESS and EAV, as I've said before, is the approach taken by the staff who frequent this forum. Sometimes they can be fantastic and helpful but unfortunately a lot of the time they give the impression that we should be grateful that they let us use their product.

Take the current issue about the kernel being terminated.... over 24 hours on the forum now and not on single response from ESET staff and this is supposed to be THEIR support forum.

If only they attended to customer service they would be unstoppable.

11. Steel

Steel Registered Member

Are the (AV- Modules/ engines ) inside ESS exactly the same as in the V3 AV ?

If yes, how can the results be so catastrophal ?

Please an official word from ESET !!!

12. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes (ESS=NOD32 v3 engine=EA's engine) .

In the Antivirus test they give ESS 4/5 . Perhaps you simply don't understand the other part (e.g. when the revierer says that it left so many registry entries and data afterwards) .

E.g. : the spyware Surfside Kick
    This stuff "installs" registry entries for it so that it works easier , it creates files in the %windir% or in the system dir , a folder in %ProgramFiles% .
    ESS will detect and eliminate only the dangerous stuff - only the dangerous DLL files in the %ProgramFiles% , will only delete dangerous files in %windir% and system folder.Eset SS will not delete all registry entries and will not delete the folder %ProgramFiles%/Surfside Kick/

ESS have eliminated the dangerous part , the other things are just a cleanup , the rest of the things don't pose a risk for the user.If they don't post a risk , why detect them ??

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=129155
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=735201&postcount=10

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2007
  13. TJP

TJP Registered Member

I believe it to be a fair review of a product in its infancy.

ESS has its share of issues (documented in the review and within this forum) but it will get better as time goes on, just like Nod32 before it.

Cheers.

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Very good point. No matter what issues some may have, the bottom line is it is going to get better as each day goes by.

15. SteveBlanchard

I doubt the reveiw will be on ESET's award pages!!!

16. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Totally Agreed!! their job is to keep out or remove DANGEROUS stuff from your machine, and if they do, THEY SUCCEED, it is as simple as that.

17. ugly

ugly Registered Member

I don't think is that simple !
    Ex.: malware designed to run at PC start up - even if you delete the program ,it will try to run every time you start your computer ( and probable give you an error) ....do you need something like that ?
    I'd rather go with an antivirus that clean all traces of a malware.
    But that is me. ;)

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

As a previous subscriber to PC Mag, I began to think over time that they gave the job of doing software reviews to the office boy. Too many times they gave glowing reviews to security software, declaring it Number #1 when in fact it was creating havoc on peoples computers and it was trash in reality, and they trashed great security software in other issues. I wouldn't buy any security software on the strength of their reviews. However, as an Eset user for one year, I just renewed my registration for two more years. That's a review.

19. grizz

grizz Registered Member

is that place sponsored by norton, norton ads all over the place :shifty:
    i had norton nis 2008 on 1 of the comps here biggest mistake ever.
    thought it was supposed to be a lot smoother this year, the comp was like treacle with it installed, best thing i did was remove it.
    i'll be sticking with ess even after reading that ;)

20. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Most of the ads are to support Symantec . One can easily meet McAfee pop-up , too or Trend Micro animation :cool:

Have a look at the screenshot :D :D :D (sorry for the off-topic)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2007
  21. Melchi501

Melchi501 Registered Member

"Too many times they gave glowing reviews to security software, declaring it Number #1 when in fact it was creating havoc on peoples computers..."

It was my experience with NIS in my new computer.

22. grizz

grizz Registered Member

you sure it's not symantec supporting them :D

23. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I put little confidence in Pc Mag's review, they lost credibility years ago & for crying out loud the new versions been out 9 days a bit too soon to be 'that' critical. It will improve & I do have confidence in that...

24. psychokilla

psychokilla Registered Member

Considering when I went to view the site there was a huge monolithic Norton advert next to the review, I think I would take anything they say with a pinch, no, in fact a vat, of salt

25. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

It's surprising that criticism of the article revolves around how PCMag is "biased" towards other vendors due to "advertising". Does this mean that nobody is unable to factually dispute the article, and thus has to fall back on shady insinuations?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.