PC Mag Review: Avira Premium Security Suite 10

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hawki, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Post. As long as the thread stays only on Avira Premium Security Suite 10, it will continue. If it veers off course...

JR

3. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I read through the review twice and didn't see one mention of the new Pro-Active protection now included with the pay version. I wound up having to disable this anyway since it was causing slowdowns and freeze ups on my box...:blink: :)

4. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

well, i wont answer what i want to say as people get on my back.

but i will say, im not hearing the argument of this forum.

detection that doesnt actually block when it says it does. (see. keylogger part)

removal that is poor, firewall that is poor, and behaviour blocker that, well..... just doesnt do anything, im not hearing the argument against it, and completely think a 2.5 score from pcmag is a fair result.

they even rubbed salt into the wounds and said even IE8 has better phishing protection.

:thumbd:

I suppose Norton paid for this result aswell? *lol*

5. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I must say I am reading your post with a smile of satisfaction on my face, just because I like bashing certain programs.

6. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

The review does sum it up well this time. Avira 10 hasn't been one of their pearls. There is still a good bit of fixing needed based on my experience and the glut of posts at the Avira Forum...:rolleyes: :blink: :)

7. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I agree.
    Avira 10 is still very much a 'work in progress',especially the Pro-Activ BB element which doesn't appear to be doing anything as yet.It does seem to have been pushed out before it was ready,perhaps they need to re-evaluate their 'jumping through hoops' policy for beta testing in future.

Having said that,given some time to mature I'm confident that this'll be an excellent product.

8. progress

progress Guest

It's sad but true - Avira has a great on-demand detection rate but the rest is just mediocre :rolleyes:

9. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

It all went pear shaped when that umbrella changed from blue to red :isay:

ellison

10. Technic

Technic Registered Member

I had terrible experiences with Avira during the beta test. So unfinished work indeed. :ouch: They (devs) do not have a clue at the moment. :argh:

11. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

All the requests for Avira Version 9 at their forum kinda tell the story. It's strange how they just pulled Version 9 away and foisted the new version out there. My "9" premium ran very smoothly.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Oh, ok, here goes. The problem isnt the people, the company or the technology. They are some of the best if not the best. But they are very, I would say pig-headed, but lets go with stubborn. Do you remember how hard it use to be to even get a trial license for 30 days.

This is the problem and it deals with their beta program. It has been and still is a ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ to join and be part of. This is the crux. Fewer testers=fewer different setups=fewer answers.

Moderators who can be a tad rough on folks trying to help, some testers who carry more weight then deserved. Past members here who think they know it all. Vendors have to open their beta programs up to all, to develope better products and to save face as Avira is finding out. Kaspersky does it well. You want in, no problem, they accept even the lame, of mind. But they get testing thay envelopes so many different computer software and hardware setups, that most of the time when the product is ready, it is ready.

F-Secure with their year long technology preview is another good example. I predicted, yeah right, I knew this was coming just based on how things had gone the last 2 years with their betas. They moved to damn fast, and they didnt need to. They were so caught up in creating a "suite" that modules that really count like, "malware detection" suffered. Yeah, I saw it coming as soon as I heard about their attempts at BB. Bottom line is, you didnt even need it. Your antivirus was and may be again, the best. The time could have been better spent making a better firewall.

Avira needs to fix the current issues, rethink future betas and/or modules for their suite and they will be fine. They have to be because you can only survive this once. I still say a simple suite that will work is a AV,Sandbox and Firewall. Spam protection is really outdated and parental control is even more outdated with all the free programs that are more customizable then most in suites. Open-DNS.

Security nows mean security and no pacifiers needed. All vendors need to learn this. Avira, you are very good folks but you need to learn from this, no matter how ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ you may be. You created it, and only you can fix it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2010
  13. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

It's not just the beta program... Their absolutely useless forums which don't let "untrusted" users participate in threads started by others (due to some mystical spam "incident") makes the thing a nightmare experience when you need any support, even a community one. And yeah, the testing licenses... and I'd rather not mention the advert popup bombing again.

If they repeat this fiasco once again, it's gonna be the end for Avira I'm afraid. :'(

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2010
  14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yeah, I did my best to not go there but you are right. They are closing the lid very quickly and it may not reopen. It sucks because they have exactly what it takes to control this entire market.
    Please dont take this wrong, but you folks can really be pains to deal with. You have compasionate folks who work for you, but it seems it doesnt go very far up the ladder.

Do away with the mandatory contribution. Have a link that people can click on to find out about the Auerbach foundation and give them the option to contribute. I am very familiar with it and support it 100 percent. But it is another fine example of, "The Avira way or no way at all."

And that my friends has got to go. Along with any who cant see the light.

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

the price of the suite should be $56.00, period. Then you ask customers would they like for $7.00 of that to go to the Auerbach Foundation with a link to show or explain what it is. You still get your money but you exhibit customer equality by allowing the customer to decide if to give the foundation the money or give it to you. Right now, it is unfortunate, they have no option. Geez, you need some lessons in customer service. I have been doing this all my life and 6 months from now do you even think anyone will associate Toyota with faulty floormats? No.....

16. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Things change fast in the security world, everyone was saying how well Avira was about 2 months ago and now everyone dislikes them. I looked into testing the Avira beta but after seeing the long forum to fill out I decided not to. Maybe they should go with the Sunbelt Beta Testing way, you fill out username, password, email and you are set.

17. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

to add to what trjam said ...i was involved in the beta test. though maybe just over half way through i gave up. not only did certain things i constantly brought up never get fixed the 64 bit version took forever. also some things as you said on their forums that were brought up in which i had the same issue with as someone else must have been our fault it seemed. so i called it quits before the end. and to be honest i prob will not beta for them again.

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Nobody said they dislike Avira, I personally think they have some of the best folks I have ever known. But if I am helping or if I am a paying customer, then arrogance has no place. And there are quite a few vendors like that.

19. doktornotor

Oh great... just discovered why does one of my XP boxes constantly reboot at 3 a.m. - here we go with another horrible bug. Hmmm, should have thought about it before messing with Windows Update settings over and over again, even reinstalling COM+ multiple times. Argh. :mad: :blink:

20. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Sorry maybe dislike was the wrong word to chose, let me reword it: A few months ago everyone was saying how Avira was one of the most stable vendors now everyone is saying that they are one of the most buggy. I think Avira has a great malware lab behind them they just need to fix some of there policy's and switch how they advertise like other free AV vendors have.

21. doktornotor

Yeah, v9 definitely was one of the most stable products for me. It was excellent. Now they've forced v10 on us, pulled the old version altogether and their bug fixing seems snail-paced at best - given the serious nature of those bugs I'd except a bit more effort there and some useful support. What I read at the forums is kinda horrible example of how things should not ever be handled. And if you screw up the release big time, then allow people to dowgrade. But ugh, that seems plain impossible - I found the old v9 installer somewhere on an USB stick, did that and they force-upgraded me yet again overnight.
    o_O :argh:

22. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

ummm......where is the complete review btw? have they removed it?

23. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yeah wow it looks like they pulled it??

24. doktornotor

Meh... looks like some technical trouble :p

Code:
    Error in ISAPI_Rewrite helper ISAPI extension.
    12030 - The connection with the server was terminated abnormally 
    File: .\AsyncProxyContext.cpp, Line: 1082.
    [B]Intrenal [/B]Error
    Anyway, works on forced refresh.

Edit: Hmmm... only first two parts of the article sorta work. o_O

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  25. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I'm getting this message: We're sorry, but the page you requested cannot be found.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.